Views
Helpful
Replies

Different subnet masks in the Same vlan

jorjes1984
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am moving a company's network ip address range from 192.168.1.x/22 to 192.168.1.x/24

(Other VLANS will also be created)

My question is: in the VLAN where now all users and servers exists, i want to start changing manually the Subnet mask of the servers from /22 to /24.

Would it cause any connectivity problem with the remaining users that still has the subnet mask /22?

3 Replies 3

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

u can use the other's ip subnet under the same svi but it needs to be as a secondry address.

Thanks

Mahmood

Where do u mean the secondary address should be?

i didn't understood well what u mean

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Mahmood notes, you might be able to define a secondary address (which supports more than one subnet on the same VLAN). However, I'm concerned about the fact you would have overlapping subnets.

I assume you're hoping just to migrate subnet masks. However, moving from /22 to /24, you could have /22 hosts sitting on /24 network or broadcast addresses.

I would suggest moving hosts to a /24 that doesn't overlap with the existing /22.

e.g.

gateway device

interface someEthernet #

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.252.0

ip address 192.168.4.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

When you've migrated, remove the /22. At that point you could either make the new /24 the primary, or migrate to another /24 within the original /22 address block.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card