Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Gateway of Last Resort...

nstahlman
Level 1
Level 1

All...

I am currently in the process of implementing EIGRP to provide dynamic routing across our entire network infrastructure which includes two paths to the Internet and two paths for our Remote Offices to the Corporate office via a MPLS cloud.

On my two Internet edge routers I am currently redistributing the default 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 static route into EIGRP which is being advertised at the Gateway of Last Resort of all network equipment. With this configuration these default routes are external EIGRP routes.

The issue is there one office location in which the proper EIGRP Gateway of Last Resort is being learned based on distance and bandwidth but the route being learned is actually to the secondary Internet connection.

Is there a way I can reconfigure the "secondary" Gateway of Last Resort so the "primary" always takes precedence no matter with the distance or bandwidth as long as this connection is up?

Thanks,

Nate

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nate

Perhaps there are a couple of ways to accomplish the objective of having EIGRP advertise the "primary" default route. Perhaps the most simple solution would be to configure the static default route on the secondary Internet connection as a floating static route. If it were a floating static and the primary static were advertised then the floating static would not be put into the routing table and therefore not redistributed or advertised. And if the primary static route fails then the floating static is put into the routing table, is redistributed and advertised.

Or perhaps you might want to supply a default metric in the redistribution of the secondary default that makes that route much less desirable than the primary default route.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card