Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless LAN Controller

sdeva1986
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I will start off by saying that i only have experience with small - scale (2106 WLAN Controller)unified wireless network setup. So, i was wondering what factors do i need to take into consideration while setting up a Medium - Large scale Unified wireless network (For ex. How many AP's do i require for a 3-4 storied building?). Also which Controller and Access Point is recommended for such a scenario. I need the Controller to support Mesh networking and 802.11N.

Thank in advance for you time.

Regards,

Sri

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would suggest a site survey to determine the location and amount of ap's you will need. Also the engineer will tell you what model ap and antennas he or she suggest. As for controllers, depending on how many ap's is required, the WLC4400 with the 5.2 code will allow you to use the wlc to support the mesh ap's also. Now depending again on the survey, you can use the 1252 or 1142 ap's which currently support 802.11N draft 2.0.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I have one more question relating to what you mentioned. When you say site survey done by the engineer does the survey involve a set of procedure (if yes, then what kind?) or is it through experience that he determines how many AP's are required?

It does involve certain requirements depending if you require data, voice or location. It also depends on devices and applications that will be utilizing the WLAN. Engineer experience does play a big factor. He or she might be familiar in an environment like yours and might know what to look for and what will and will not work. If he or she understands RF, your deployment will be successfull. If not, then you will hate it as much as the user will.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

mark.cronin
Level 2
Level 2

Fella mentioned location

have you considered IDS and IPS?

Are you concerned with tracking

802.11a 5ghz

802.11b 2.4ghz

802.11g 2.4ghz

802.11n 2.4ghz - 5ghz

Rogue access points internal and external to

your building?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card