cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMPc display HOSTNAME rather than IP address

kyleharris
Level 1
Level 1

I have a closed network architecture that uses a satellite network as transport. My centralized SOC is located behind a Multicontext Transparent VFW architecture using ASA 5510. I am populating my SNMPc maps by allowing the NMS to contact the FW via the outside interface (security level 0).

SNMPc is seeing all the LOCAL contexts via the IP HOSTNAME of the FW context.

SNMPc is seeing all the REMOTE contexts via the IP address of the FW context, but will not populate the context via the HOSTNAME assigned to the context.

The following is an example of the SNMP configuration for a context.

hostname <DEVICE HOSTNAME>

snmp-server host <outside interface> <NMS_MGR_IP_ADDRESS> community <COMMUNITY_STRING_VALUE> version 2c

no snmp-server location

no snmp-server contact

snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkup linkdown coldstart

snmp-server enable traps syslog

snmp-server enable traps remote-access session-threshold-exceeded

1 Reply 1

tstanik
Level 5
Level 5

You need to do is to setup your device to send SNMP link up/down trap to DFM. Once

DFM got the info, it will show in the monitoring console. To do that, you need to

configure the below.

snmp-server enable traps snmp linkup linkdown

snmp-server host x.x.x.x traps public snmp

where x.x.x.x is the ip of your DMF. This will make the router to send the link up/down

trap. Once DFM receive the trap, it will display it at the monitor console. This will be a

work around for you if you don't have ICMP turn on but still want the link up/down

detection.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: