Helpful
Replies

CUPC with CUPS 7 issues

Amine-K
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have deployed CUPS 7 with CUCM 7.

When using CUPC, we have some issues : sometimes the status for the user and other contacts are grayed out even the server health is ok.

This issue is not permanent but frequent for all users. Sometimes the users status are ok and sometimes are not.

What may be the issue?

12 Replies 12

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

usually, it's network or firewall related.

yes, usually, people would say "no firewall was turned on" :)

You'll have to do sniffer capture on client (CUPC) side and server (CUPS) side to prove it.

command line on server side would be:

utils network capture file cups count 100000 size all host all 192.168.1.100

(where 192.168.1.100 is the CUPC IP address)

For more troubleshooting tips, see:

http://www.lulu.com/content/5552336

and my blog:

http://htluo.blogspot.com/

If still no luck, open a case between 12:45pm and 3:15pm and ask for Michael Luo.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I made the capture on both server and client side.

You can find them attached.

Sorry,

I forgot the attachments !

Hi,

Through the capture, we can see clearly the SIP Register and SIP Subscribe and then SIP Publish sent from CUPC to CUPS but we can not see the SIP Notify sent from CUPS to CUPC.

All that we see is a single TCP segment of reassembled PDU (Frame num. 306) and where we can see in the data field 'notify SIP'.

It seems like CUPC received only a fragment of a SIP Notify message that's why it could not recognize it as a SIP Notify message.

Because the SIP Notify messages are not received by CUPC, it could not update the presence status of the contacts.

As you said, I think it's related to some network or firewall issue.

Do you agree with me?

From server side, packet #328, 333, 455, 459 didn't arrive at client side.

If you're using ASA, try disable SIP inspection.

Michael

Hi Michael,

ok, I have 2 remarks:

- I read that ASA supports Presence and supports SIP Simple messages.

- Not all the users in this same site are facing this problem, sometimes all works perfectly.

Anyway we will go through disabling SIP inspection, we will also check the LAN to be sure that nothing is related to the customer's LAN and we will update you.

There's a known bug on ASA (CSCsr21103), which will prevent large SIP message from passing through.

You either upgrade ASA to 8.0.4.1 or disable SIP inspection on ASA.

Depends on the length of contact list, the size of the SIP msg could be larger or smaller than 8k. That explains some user failed, some didn't.

Michael

http://www.lulu.com/content/5552336

Dear Michael,

Traffic routed to the datacenter crosses one Firewall Module. We disabled SIP Inspection on this firewall module and now it's working perfectly.

Is there the same bug for ASA on the firewall module.

We searched on cisco bug tool but we did not find anything, do you have any idea about such bug on firewall module?

Thanks for your help!

I am having an issue where around 5:15PM (after work) on random days, several of the remaining logged in CUPC clients lose presence information and need to be restarted in order to start working. I will see if a packet capture turns up anything, but I was curious to know what time zone I should consider when opening the ticket between 12:45 and 3:15.

TIA

Mike

12:45-3:45 CST. :)

heit_jdungca
Level 1
Level 1

what cupc client version are you using, we have the same problem. if you're using 7.0.1 there's bug.

CSCsq47500 and titled “App presence changes from available to offline when idle for 1-2 hours.” The bad news is that it is is road-mapped for 7.0.2.X which is not yet released.

Does ssl vpn work the same as ipsec? I'm having this same issue but over ssl/anyconnect only.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: