cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remove the 9 to dial out

7bridgesol
Level 1
Level 1

What can be done so that we can eliminate the 9 to dial out in PBX mode.  Have had deals lost because you can not remove like old TDM's.  You can do it via cli in CME, but not the UC500. Why?

19 Replies 19

You can also do this on the UC500 via CLI, but the problem is that this setting is incompatible with CCA. Our recommendation is that you use Key System.

If key system is not an option, you may try the following:

- Remove the leading 9 from all your dial peers.

- Leave the "secondary dialtone" command under "telephony-service" so CCA doesn't present you with any errors.

The problem with the above is overlapping dialing, meaning there is chance for collisions and incorrect call routing.

Thanks,

Marcos

I will give it a try.  Key System is not an option and they do not want this 9.

worked like a charm

Glad to hear that.

Marcos

I know this post is a little old but I wanted to explain what Marcos said earlier another way...  For people who are new to this stuff.

You can edit the dial-peers to remove the 9 like below..  but if you have internal extensions lets say 201, 202, and 203 and you try to call Connecticut which is area code 203, your phone will not be able to call connecticut at a 203 number because the ip phone at INTERNAL extension 203 and its dial peer will match before you can finish dilaing the number and the ip phone will ring...  So you have to be careful and know what the internal extensions are vs. the phone numbers you are dialing..  somewhere it is going to get messy.

(EXAMPLE) - Just change the destination-pattern on ALL dial-peers to REMOVE the leading 9.

dial-peer voice 57 pots
trunkgroup ALL_FXO
corlist outgoing call-local
description **CCA*North American*7-Digit Local**
translation-profile outgoing OUTGOING_TRANSLATION_PROFILE
preference 5
destination-pattern 9[2-9]......
forward-digits all
  no sip-register

dial-peer voice 57 pots
trunkgroup ALL_FXO
corlist outgoing call-local
description **CCA*North American*7-Digit Local**
translation-profile outgoing OUTGOING_TRANSLATION_PROFILE
preference 5
destination-pattern [2-9]......
forward-digits all
  no sip-register

Hello,

Is it possible to remove the need to use a prefix on just one outbound line - for example a fax line? I've experimented with this from CLI but keep failing.

All users are happy to use a prefix for their extensions but were hoping not to have to use it for the fax machine.

Thanks

Damian Halloran.

Hello,

If this line will be dedicated to faxes only, and other IP phones do not need to access it for outbound calls, then you can use the recently released CCA 2.0 and configure this trunk for Key-system mode, while keeping the other trunks in PBX mode. CCA 2.0 allows for mixed deployments.. You can also use the new Telephony Setup Wizard to expedite the configuration.

This would be one way to avoid having to jump on the CLI.

More info about the new CCA 2.0, on:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-7157

Thanks,

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Hi Marcos,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately after installing CCA 2.0 I've tried going into Configure -> Telephony -> Voice but it fails at the point where it is "Reading User parameters" and I get a java.lang.NullPointerException error dialog box.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Regards,

Damian Halloran B Comp CCNA

Capital IT Pty Ltd

This is a sign of out of band changes made through the CLI. You would have to normalize (factory default) your configuration. I recommend you do that using CCA 2.0.

Marcos

I just removed the first digit from all the outgoing dial peers, and still needed to dial the first digit to call out.  I then did the following, and seems to dial out fine.  Is there any impact to leaving it this way?

Original:

voice translation-rule 1112
  rule 1 /^1/ //

voice translation-profile OUTGOING_TRANSLATION_PROFILE
translate called 1112

I then configured this, but I didn't remove OUTGOING_TRANSLATION_PROFILE from any of the dial peers:

voice translation-rule 1112
no rule 1 /^1/ //

I know this is a bit old, but its the only topic I've been able to find on the subject. I am in a similar situation as the original poster is.

I've done what has been posted here to the letter, but it actually makes it even worse. Instead of removing the "9" requirement, it causes the system to still require the 9, but cuts off the last digit in the phone number. So 123-456-7890 would wind up trying to dial 912-345-6789. If I try to dial without the 9, I get the usual error message saying no such extension exists after 4 digits. There are no conflicting extensions that will be causing any problems with this.

I am using 10 digit dialing as opposed to 7, on a UC560. I will also be needing to implement it on a 540 and a 320.

I know this is an old thread, but wondering how long a change like this takes so I can give our client an esimate for their request.

We have a UC560 and using CCA 2.2(4)....anyway to use it?

Or only CLI still ?

Thanks,

Stacy

Hi Stacey,

I would have to say it would be quicker to do it via CLI, basically copy over all your Dial-peers to a txt file, remove the leading digit and then past them back (No more then 10 at a time) and bang it is over and done with :)

If CCA does allow the changes now i would still have to say it would be combersome and slow, you would be pointing and clicking quite a few times

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Agreed. Best to do CLI...

So the plot thickens:  We have this UC560 connected to a UC540 in Denver.  The Uc560 folks are in Colorado Springs and don't have to 10 digit dial, so they are on a 7 digit dial plan. I wrote the following (see below) to the client explaining some of the "gotchas" with removing their lead digit. He added the question "can a # be placed before the extension number to prevent this."  

My brain hurts...I don't know if I'd add a digit to dial peers or to the actual extenison numbers? I don't know if i even NEED to.  and what digit would I use? Since it's an internal extension without a 1 in front, then would it matter? I'm thinking we may just need to change that one user's 303 extension...except he's an owner...

4 is used for intercom extensions, 6 is used to trsnfVM, .........

The answer is YES we can remove the lead digit 8 to call outbound. We do not have to change the internal extensions. BUT this can cause issues when with the overall dial plan in yours and Denver’s systems. Anyone who forgets to add the 1 before they place a long distance call to Denver 303 will actually end up calling Renny at extension 303.  Can a # or number be placed before the extension number to prevent this.  Denver office extensions are 101,102, and so on. Denver can NEVER have an extension 130 because that would mean anyone in Springs calling a Denver number would always end up calling the Denver ext 130.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: