I've got the following:

sh switch

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0023.339f.8500

H/W Current

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State

----------------------------------------------------------

*1 Master 0023.339f.7387 8 1 Ready

2 Member 001b.d55f.4507 1 1 Ready

My questioin what defines that the switch with MAC address ending 7387 will be switch 1? How can I change it so that it becomes switch 2. BTW I'm not questioning the "master" change.

Thanks

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think what you are asking is currently you have gig 2/0/1 which is in "switch 2" and you want to make that "gig 1/0/1", correct? If you are able to succesfully renumber the switch the interfaces will follow.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Just to add my problem is this. I want Gi1/0/1 to be the switch with MAC addres: "001b.d55f.4507" and not the current "0023.339f.7387", any ideas how to achieve this?

Thanks

Dan

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

A new, out-of-the-box switch (one that has not joined a switch stack or has not been manually assigned a stack member number) ships with a default stack member number of 1. When it joins a switch stack, its default stack member number changes to the lowest available member number in the stack.

Stack members in the same switch stack cannot have the same stack member number. Every stack member, including a standalone switch, retains its member number until you manually change the number or unless the number is already being used by another member in the stack.

•If you manually change the stack member number by using the switch current-stack-member-number renumber new-stack-member-number global configuration command, the new number goes into effect after that stack member resets (or after you use the reload slot stack-member-number privileged EXEC command) and only if that number is not already assigned to any other members in the stack. For more information, see the "Assigning a Stack Member Number" section. Another way to change the stack member number is by changing the SWITCH_NUMBER environment variable, as explained in the "Controlling Environment Variables" section on page 3-19.

If the number is being used by another member in the stack, the switch selects the lowest available number in the stack.

If you manually change the number of a stack member and no interface-level configuration is associated with that new member number, that stack member resets to its default configuration. For more information about stack member numbers and configurations, see the "Switch Stack Configuration Files" section.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1112897

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Only thing is I've got to Get Gi 1/0/1 changed from being registered with the current "switch 1" and be registered with the current "switch 2". Will the command "switch X renumber". do this for me?

Thanks

Dan

I think what you are asking is currently you have gig 2/0/1 which is in "switch 2" and you want to make that "gig 1/0/1", correct? If you are able to succesfully renumber the switch the interfaces will follow.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card