unable to log into switch

Answered Question
Jan 29th, 2009

I have 2 switches connected together via a trunk port. Swich one is connected to a router and switch 2 is connected to switch one via a trunk port. If I hook up a machine to switch 2 I get connectivity and all is fine the only thing is I'm unable to ssh into switch2 for some reason. I can ping it from the directly connect switch 1 but am unable to ssh. I cleared the keys and generated a new one but still no luck. What am I missing? Thank you in advance for your help

Correct Answer by glen.grant about 8 years 3 weeks ago

If you are trying to get to it from off the subnet that the switch address is in you have no default gateway defined in the switch .

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
glen.grant Thu, 01/29/2009 - 14:18

If you are trying to get to it from off the subnet that the switch address is in you have no default gateway defined in the switch .

wgranada1 Fri, 01/30/2009 - 05:56

Yes the problem was 2 fold wasn't able to log in and I was missing, like you said the default gateway. Once the default gateway was in I still couldn't log in found out on the vty I had to remove the password as it gets its authentication from the tac server.

Dunno how true that is but when I removed the password on the vty interface I was able to log in. Thank you for your help!!!!

Actions

This Discussion