cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WinLogon is eating my memory...

Kris Thompson
Level 1
Level 1

I found winlogon.exe was using over 800MB of memory on my Unity 5.0(1) server. OS is 2003 SP1.

Per google-research, this is caused by KB912354.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912354

We were also getting Application Event Log errors with Windows Product Activation every minute.

Temp fix per some internet sources is to RDP to console. This lead to a full Unity outage due to KB928046

Tonight we will apply Server Updates Wizard for Unity (2.0(12)), but this does NOT list the winlogon.exe memory leak.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/updates/wizard/cuupwz.html

How do we patch Unity 5.0(1), Windows 2003 SP1 for KB912354

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

if you're indeed running into that issue at least there is no notification on CCO or in a previous TAC case of that being identified as the source of this or if it will be included later on

nevermind, looking at the date of the article i'm pretty sure it won't be included in any version of SUW

Article ID: 912354 - Last Review: November 14, 2007

i'd recommend you to take a full backup of your unity server, then install the SUW on the server, and then if MS has a patch for KB912354 proceed to apply it

as always keep in mind that our policy is that you can apply patches to your server (usually already approved ones or critical) but if not, you can go ahead, if at any point in the future a CSE determines it's causing an issue he can ask you to uninstall it

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Java

Hope you are super!.

Question sir, every two days approx. I am receiving reports of Insufficient Free Virtual Memory

from an unity server Cisco Unity 4.2 Build 4.2(1)over os 2000 sp4. I seeing that it has 10-15% of free memory, do you have any suggest of workaround about this issue?

Please your value comments

Regards

Andres

mlabuguen
Level 1
Level 1

Please post your result after applying Server Update Wizard. I have the same problem on our Unity 4.2(1) box. No viruses were found after a scan. Will probably do the same by applying Server update.

Thanks,

Marvin

Hi,

Did you find the root cause of the winlogon memory leak? We are experiencing the same issue with Unity 5.0.1 on Windows 2003.

Thank you.

Yorick

We have not seen this problem with the winlogon.exe memory leak since running Unity Server Update Wizard 2.0(13) in February.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/updates/wizard/2009cuupwz.html

TAC recommended running the Update Wizard to resolve the memory leak. We had plans to upgrade to Unity Connection 7.x so I did not have a chance to install the Unity Server Update Wizard.

Marvin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: