cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP from flash, running IOS 12.3(24)

CriscoSystems
Level 5
Level 5

I want to xfer the IOS image on Router L to Router B.

In global config mode on Router L, the ? facility tells me that the tftp-server command can only specify files whose URL's start with null: or nvram: or system:

Except, I want to copy the IOS image out of flash.

I haven't had a problem with this in IOS 12.2...what do I need to do here?

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of device is this?

Sorry; I was astonished to notice that I had left that info out.

It's a 2501, running IOS 12.3(24).

This sounds like a bug (or perhaps a problem with your flash). I have a few 2500s left running older code, and I am able to configure flash:. I have a few 2600s running 12.3, and I am able to configure flash: there as well. I couldn't find any matching bugs on this, so your issue may be a new one.

If tftp from flash simply isn't an option; can you recommend a workaround?

Maybe from Rxboot or ROMMON mode?

Is there a way to copy from flash into an nvram file (it does have 16MB NVRAM...) and then tftp it from there?

NVRAM isn't a workaround. It isn't nearly big enough. The only workaround I see is to copy the image from the 2501 to a host-based TFTP server, then copy that image to the new router from that host-based server.

But copy the image _how_ ??

The whole problem is that copying the image from the 2501 isn't an option; at least not via TFTP.

Router#tftp-server ?

nvram:

null:

system:

are the only options. No "flash:"

There's the rub! Any suggestions?

Copy the image using the router as a TFTP client. Say you have a host-based TFTP server running on 10.1.1.1:

Router#copy flash:c2500-i-l.123-24 tftp://10.1.1.1

Then, on the router router:

Router(boot)#copy tftp://10.1.1.1/c2500-i-l.123-24 flash:

Sorry, I misread your first sentence. If what I stated in my previous post is not an option, then would another protocol like RCP work?

I'm researching the rcp option right now - I've moved dozens of images around using tftp so it's a major comfort zone for me; only I've never used anything else; so I'm treading lightly.

RCP is a TCP transport using tcp/514. This configuration example is for CiscoWorks, but will work in general for a user named "cwuser":

username cwuser password 7 000C1C0A05

ip rcmd rcp-enable

ip rcmd remote-host cwuser 172.17.246.221 cwuser enable

ip rcmd remote-username cwuser

Thank you for that.

I'm familiarizing myself with "rsh" and the other stuff so I'll have a faint idea what I'm doing.

I will keep you updated!

CriscoSystems
Level 5
Level 5

Now this is interesting:

==================================

Router(config)#tftp-server flash:c2500-is-l.123-24.bin

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Router(config)#tftp-server ?

null: Allow URL file TFTP load requests

nvram: Allow URL file TFTP load requests

system: Allow URL file TFTP load requests

Router(config)#tftp-server c2500-is-l.123-24.bin

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Router(config)#

==================================

If "flash:" isn't allowed in the tftp-server command, how come the "^" error marker only points out the colon, not the "f?" But it catches the "c" in the filename first thing.

Is this worth analyzing, or am I just dealing with a zotzed router?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: