cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the role of ARP on a switch?

surama123
Level 1
Level 1

I have understood that layer 2 switch is only interested in MAC addresses so why do switches keep an ARP table?

We have some issues with a client who has connected a switch between multiple WAN connections and an ISA server. Each of the WAN devices is on a separate subnet, some are offering DHCP. My common sense tells me that this is not a good setup as there is one broadcast domain and multiple subnets attached to it. I would appreciate any pointers to understand better why this is not working well.

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, you said the reason already: multiple subnets, multiple DHCP, one physical media = bad.

These are usually the kind of mistakes made by end-users that think they know better because have been lucky in the past.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"I have understood that layer 2 switch is only interested in MAC addresses so why do switches keep an ARP table? "

Because managed L2 switches are also IP hosts, and like other IP hosts, they maintain an ARP table.

Agree with Paolo that multiple subnets within a single broadcast domain is likely "bad".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card