HREAP with guest/secured WLANs

Unanswered Question
Jan 30th, 2009

Here is the scenario:

I have a main site with WLC. VLAN 10 is mgmnt and AP-mgr, VLAN20 is secure user, VLAN30 for guests. There is a user-SSID and guest-SSID. Guest users get their IP from DHCP on WLC. APs and secure-users get their IPs from scopes on another DHCP server.

I need to deploy APs for a branch, with a high speed routed WAN connection and no local Internet.

I have created a separate AP-group for the branch.

Can I use the same SSID's for the branch? if yes, how?

Branch APs will be configured in HREAP mode and local switching.

I like to configure secure users in branch for central-auth/local-switching. Branch guests as central-auth/central switching.

Any information that helps accomplish above scenario will be appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
r.roudi Fri, 01/30/2009 - 12:43

Configured VLAN10 on a branch switch, with a local IP subnet (that is different from the subnet for WLC management). Plugged an AP to that VLAN and both secured and guest WLANs seem to be working!

That would eliminate H-REAP then.

Scott Fella Sat, 01/31/2009 - 09:12

Adding to Ramin's post, ifyou have a high speed WAN link, then run the ap's in local mode and use AP Groups.  If you just want the secure users to be local switched then on that ssid you would enable local switching and then when you set the ap to h-reap, you can set the native vlan which would be your management vlan the ap will be on and you will also define you ssid local vlan id.  I would keep vlan 20 the same on all branches too.

This Discussion