Views
Helpful
Replies

Log rollover

rokeeffe265
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

just wondering is there a way to rollover the logs at a specific time each day rather than when they reach a certain file size,

Cheers.
R.

6 Replies 6

valter_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Try this:

C:\Program Files\PuTTY>plink valter@vmw033-esa02.run rollovernow all
Using keyboard-interactive authentication.
Password:
^C
C:\Program Files\PuTTY>plink admin@vmw033-esa02.run rollovernow all
Password:
Log files successfully rolled over.

C:\Program Files\PuTTY>plink admin@vmw033-esa02.run rollovernow mail_logs
Password:
Log files successfully rolled over.

plink is part of Putty tools.

You can check the post for Putty tools backup and create a script to use ssh from unlix-like machine as well.

-Valter

rokeeffe265
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Valter,

much appreciated!

I suppose that works. There's no way to configure this within ironport itself? :?:

rokeeffe265
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bart,

I submitted it as a feature request. That was before I read this KB article though so perhaps I didn't follow standard procedure for a request.
It's not a huge thing as there are work arounds, however it would seem like a logical feature to have on any box built around a Free BSD kernel.

exactly my idea! Seems logical to be able to do this on your box but the workaround is easy enough....

thx for the response!

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

just wondering is there a way to rollover the logs at a specific time each day rather than when they reach a certain file size

Not quite, but you can fake it. You can have the logs roll on a periodic basis. You can't schedule it for a certain time, you can just set the interval. But having set the interval, you can do a manual log rollover at a chosen time to get the schedule you want. The only problem is that it will slowly drift.

it would seem like a logical feature to have on any box built around a Free BSD kernel.

It's been my experience that feature visibility is less about what FreeBSD is capable of, and more about what IronPort is willing to spend engineering time to create a good user interface for. For example, IPsec and IPv6 have been on the wish list for quite some time. FreeBSD is capable of both, but IronPort hasn't made either of them into visible features. They don't have infinite talent, so they have to prioritize on what's going to sell the most boxes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: