Unanswered Question
Jan 30th, 2009

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity learn how Cisco AXP enables you to integrate the branch network, applications, and IT infrastructure with Cisco experts Srinivas Kotamraju and Anurag Gurtu. Srini is a solutions marketing manager in the network systems marketing team focusing on the Cisco integrated services router platform at Cisco. He has over 10 years of experience in the networking industry working in various capacities (engineering, business development, marketing) at Google Inc, Bell Labs, and Cisco Systems. He holds a master of business administration degree from University of California Berkeley, a master of computer science from University of Minnesota, and a bachelor of technology from Indiana Institute of Technology. Anurag is a technical marketing engineer currently focusing on the Cisco integrated services router platform at Cisco. He brings in over five years of experience in network and security. Prior to Cisco he worked with nCircle Network Security and Sun Microsystems as a solutions architect responsible for software design & development. He holds a masters in computer networks from University of Southern California, a bachelors in electrical engineering from Pune University and has obtained CISSP certification.

Remember to use the rating system to let Srini and Anurag know if you have received an adequate response.

Srini and Anurag might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through February 13, 2009. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
b.hsu Mon, 02/02/2009 - 10:15

How is AXP different from Application Oriented Networks (AON)?

agurtu Mon, 02/02/2009 - 11:41

AON is very much like AXP except that it ships with integration/middleware software in addition to a version of Cisco Linux.

Unlike AXP, AON does not have a virtualized operating system. So all applications/configurations share the same runtime environment. The only way to virtualize the deployment is to deploy additional hardware specific to that application/configuration.

In addition, AON is a much more closed environment from a development perspective. While developers can write code and deploy it to AON, only Java and C is supported, and the environment is sandboxed off preventing developers from installing packages/utilities directly into the Linux operating system. In fact, certain 3rd party/open source packages (e.g., hybernate) simply will not run at all on AON because AON enforces a set of Java policies that restrict some functions the java app. code can perform on the system.

Developers must basically re-write their applications to run within the "containers" provided through the AON API/SDK. E.g. unlike AXP, you can't just package up a Java app running on say, Tomcat, and deploy it to AON. Instead, you'd need to take your Servlet/JSP/Bean code and re-write it so that it could live within either a "adapter" runtime environment (basically a protocol listener/daemon) or inside a "bladelet" which would get invoked at runtime whenever a message is processed that utilizes a flow that incorporates that bladelet code.

The other main difference is that AON runs on multiple hardware form factors in addition to NMEs - i.e., a 1U low cost appliance and a 2U high performance 8 core appliance. So it supports both branch deployment models as well as deployment in the data center.

In addition, AON does not really have much capability in terms of accessing/configuring IOS. Some interaction can be done with the router by programmatically telnetting/sshing into the router and issuing commands, but there is no real IOS API available. The only thing that makes it truly "network aware" is that it supports WCCP for clustering out of the box as well as some support for processing and framing promiscuous packet traffic re-directed through the SPAN port of another router/switch.

So AON is really like an integration server or middleware application running on something like AXP, but without the IOS APIs or the virtualized operating system.

bbaley Wed, 02/04/2009 - 09:01

What kinds of management tools are available on the AXP service module?

HHagendoorn Wed, 02/04/2009 - 23:48

Will it be possible to manipulate the IP header fields in transit packets, which are forwarded by the AXP?

agurtu Thu, 02/05/2009 - 09:12

Yes you can. You can intercept the packet at the router and redirect it to AXP module. Once the packet is received by AXP module your application can grab it from RAW Socket, do packet manipulation and then put the packet back on the wire.

agurtu Thu, 02/05/2009 - 09:17

We have application management tools provided by various vendors, however the default application management is supported using our extensive CLI framework which is extensible.

antoniosdi Thu, 02/05/2009 - 07:27

I'd like to know the key differences between ASA and PIX firewall systems, besides the antiquity of the first.Which is best whatsoever?

Thank you.

amritpatek Thu, 02/05/2009 - 15:58

How does one install an application onto an AXP service module?

agurtu Thu, 02/05/2009 - 16:50

From AXP module you issue a software install add url command along with specifying location of FTP server where your application package resides.

e.g. software install add url ftp://machine_name/package_name.pkg username xxxx password yyyy

agurtu Fri, 02/06/2009 - 11:06

Yes you can use iptables on AXP. They are not preinstalled. However you can port the binaries and package prebuilt Kernel modules available to the developers.

mustafa1234 Sun, 02/08/2009 - 09:51

Dear Sir

I have small network wich is connected Cisco router 2801,and I need to controll the Banwidth to each computer in the network and to assign specific banwidth Downlink and Uplink to each computer, i can't see that the 2801 router is supporting this feature.

Please advice me if the 2801 router can support this feature, or advice me any other Cisco product that can support this feuture.

aghaznavi Tue, 02/10/2009 - 11:27

I am interested to build an application on AXP and partner with Cisco. How do I do that ?

beth-martin Wed, 02/11/2009 - 15:31

I want to test if my application works on AXP. Do I need a router for that

agurtu Wed, 02/11/2009 - 17:06

You can download AXP Virtual Blade and host it on your laptop. Hence wouldn't need a router. However if you want to host your application on physical hardware then you will need a router.

URL from where you can download AXP Virtual blade is as follows:

You will need to register with Cisco, only then will you have permissions to download the file.

agurtu Fri, 02/13/2009 - 10:24

Interesting question. In current release of AXP no, however it will be available in upcoming release.

saheed.abiola Fri, 02/13/2009 - 08:16

Please up to what JDK version is supported for developing on the Cisco ISR? Also which JVM vendor's JDK is being used? Sun? IBM?

agurtu Fri, 02/13/2009 - 10:31

You as a developer can install any version of JDK. AXP comes with IBM J9 (JVM), however that shouldn't matter since once you install your JDK (IBM / SUN, etc) and set JAVA_HOME, you should be all set.

This Discussion