cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME Syslog Question

Brendan O'Flynn
Level 1
Level 1

After browsing through this forum to try and understand the filtering opertion for Syslog in RME I created a catch-all message filter (see attached) and enabled it.

When I check under RME->Tools->Syslog->Syslog Collector Status I see that the received and forwarded messages are static (Forwarded are 0!). I have unsubscribed and re-subscribed to the SyslogCollector successfully.

I can see the syslog file (/var/log/syslog_info) receiving new messages from the network devices but they don't seem to be sent to the SyslogAnalyser.

I've never been able to generate Syslog reports but I'm putting this down to my ignorance about the filter operation.

CiscoWorks LMS 2.6 is running on a Sun Solaris 2.9 box and I don't have superuser access to it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Brendan

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't know what your "All Syslog Messages" filter looks like exactly, but if it is * for all fields, then all messages should be processed. Please post the output of the pdshow command, the permissions on /var, /var/log, and /var/log/syslog_info, and the SyslogCollector.log.

You're right all messages are being processed and sent to SyslogAnalyser. I dug around in the forum a bit more and sorted the issue by stopping and starting both the SyslogCollector & SyslogAnalyser (sorry I'm still coming up to speed with CW, not sure if I needed to stop and start both). I can now see messages being received and forwarded. I can also generate reports based on what I see in syslog_info.

One final question, if you don't mind, please? I hastily deleted /var/adm/CSCOpx/log/dmgtd.log earlier because it was nearly 250MB - do I need to stop and start the daemon manager to kick this off again? I should have emtpied it - how can you do this?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Brendan

You should shutdown dmgtd, then touch this file.  Set its permissions to casuser:casusers 0660.  Then, restart syslogd, and restart dmgtd.

To properly rotate this file, configure logrot.pl.  Consult the Common Services help on how to do this.  Just search the help for "logrot".

That's great. Thanks very much for all your help jclarke.

Brendan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: