Views
Helpful
Replies

dhcp lease

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

Let say host gets an ip address from dhcp server with lease=20 days.

Let say the host is unplugged , will dhcp server reserve the ip address for 20 days?

thanks a lot!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

A DHCP-enabled client obtains a lease for an IP address from a DHCP server. Before the lease expires, the DHCP server must renew the lease for the client or the client must obtain a new lease. Leases are retained in the DHCP server database approximately one day after expiration. This grace period protects a client's lease in case the client and server are in different time zones, their internal clocks are not synchronized, or the client is off the network when the lease expires.

That sounds like a YES + 1 hour to me.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/cnet/cncb_dhc_fioy.mspx?mfr=true

View solution in original post

Yeah, I could not edit it after I post. It is + 1 day per that doc.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

A DHCP-enabled client obtains a lease for an IP address from a DHCP server. Before the lease expires, the DHCP server must renew the lease for the client or the client must obtain a new lease. Leases are retained in the DHCP server database approximately one day after expiration. This grace period protects a client's lease in case the client and server are in different time zones, their internal clocks are not synchronized, or the client is off the network when the lease expires.

That sounds like a YES + 1 hour to me.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/cnet/cncb_dhc_fioy.mspx?mfr=true

"That sounds like a YES + 1 hour to me"?

it should be lease duration+ one day? is it?

Yeah, I could not edit it after I post. It is + 1 day per that doc.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card