cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN device for Mac OS X

buzoganyakos
Level 1
Level 1

Which device should I buy for a small Mac network?

I will have one Mac getting data from a VPN, and another Mac accepting a forwarded 80 port answering the browsing clients.

I have to control the whole system remotely, probably by a forwarded port 5900 for VNC for screen sharing.

I considered 5505 and 871. The number of connected clients and data traffic will be rather small, no high speeds needed.

Which device you think suits better to my needs and supports OS X better? 5505, 871 or another one? My budget is about 500-1000$

2 Replies 2

celiocarreto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you can use both of then. I would prefer the ASA 5505, because it's a complete firewall and easy to administrate!

The asa has a very good web-gui.

Regards, Celio

Thank you Celio!

Do you know by chance whether the ASA 5505 has a protection mechanism against attacks like DoS, DDoS, port scanning etc? Are these features similar on both devices?

It seems to me that the 800-series has even an IPS, which is available only on more expensive 5500 models.

Can you give me some clue how well implemented are protective measures on the two models?

Thanks a lot,

Akos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card