Helpful
Replies

Permission Wizard with Unity 7/Exchange2003/win2008-AD

BlackAvenger
Level 1
Level 1

<p>Hey gents,<br />

<br />

I'm currently trying to install Unity 7 with Exchange and an active directory running on a windows 2008 enterprise server. The Windows 2008 Server also hosts the DNS service. The setup includes two virtual machines, one for Unity 7 and one for Exchange 2003. I know that this setup is not supported by Cisco but it is the only way for me to implement a Voicemail system for my final year project. Due to this limitation I had to manually install the SQL server (downloaded from MS and not from the Unity Data Store 2000 CD). After applying SP4, the prerequisites told me that all necessary patches and programs have been installed successfully. <br />

The second VM runs the Exchange 2003 server. All VMs are part of the domain. The users used to log in to both VMs (unity and exchange) have Domain Admin right, as well as Exchange Admin, and Schema Admin rights. <br />

I now want to run the Permission wizard from the Unity VM, which fails. I get the error message that the user running the wizard doesn't have the necessary rights to create organizational units under the domain FYP-DC.ad.fyp.ac.uk (which is the FQDN for my DC).  What do I have to do to grant this user the necessary rights? Any document or a step by step explanation would be much appreciated. <br />

<br />

Thanks in advance,<br />

Sebastian Jeuk</p>

10 Replies 10

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sebastian,

You mentioned Windows 2008.  Are you running AD 2008 as well?  If so, there's you'll need the latest patch for Unity 7 that allows integration with AD 2008.

ES17 available for download here:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/ImageList.x?relVer=701ES17&mdfid=281942013&sftType=Unity+System+Software&optPlat=&nodecount=2&edesignator=null&modelName=Cisco+Unity+Version+7.0&treeMdfId=278875240&treeName=Voice+and+Unified+Communications...

Make sure you follow any post install instructions

If this isn't the case, I would post any logs or errors and check the event logs as well on both Unity and your DC.

Brad

Hey Brad,

thanks for ur quick reply. The AD Forest is running on a 2008 level yes. The patch would only apply if I would have installed Unity already right? Thats not the case yet.

I am not able to run the Permission Wizard, which sets the necessary permissions in the AD. Is this a problem of the 2008 AD as well??

Thanks,

Sebastian

Sounds like either the account you're logged in as really doesn't have the permissions it thinks, or your domain controller is read-only and doesn't allow any writing.

Brad

Brad could you give me some hints what permission the Installation account actually need to be able to run the Permission Wizard? Regarding the Properties of the Unity Installation user, this user belongs to the Damin-Admin, Schema-Admin, and Exchange-Admin group. And if I remember correct as well to the Administrator group. I'm able to create OUs on the DC directly but I can't delete those OUs.

What permissions does the account need to be able to delete and create OUs under the Domain OU and more important where do I have to configure those permissions? Globally, on the DC, or somewhere else?

A document or step by step describtion would be much apprecited.

Thanks in advance,

Sebastian Jeuk

The UnityInstall account has all of the correct permissions it needs according to the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/installation/guide/vmexnofo/5xcuigvmenofo070.html#wp1551398

Make sure you have the latest version of Permissions Wizard.  I would recommend you run the Permissions Wizard in Report Mode which may help narrow down where it may be lacking permissions:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/HelpFiles/PW501/PWReportHelp_ENU.htm

Brad

Hey Brad,

thanks for the info. Unfortunately I can't access the first Link with my CCO account. Could you send me the linked file.

Thanks in advance,

Sebastian Jeuk

Here's google's results, it's just the installation guide for Unity 5.x (also applies to 7.x) with the section containing "Creating the Accounts Required for the Cisco Unity Installation"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Creating+the+Accounts+Required+for+the+Cisco+Unity+Installation&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

Brad

Unfortunately I'm still not able to run the Permission Wizard. I followed the instructions on the guide you recommended, Brad, but nothing changed.

Any help is much appreciated as I don't know what else I could try. I guess I'm missing some user permissions in the windows 2008 domain. But I'm not sure which ones and where I should grant them.

Thanks again for your help,

Sebastian

Unfortunately I'm still not able to run the Permission Wizard. I followed the instructions on the guide you recommended, Brad, but nothing changed.

Any help is much appreciated as I don't know what else I could try. I guess I'm missing some user permissions in the windows 2008 domain. But I'm not sure which ones and where I should grant them.

Thanks again for your help,

Sebastian

Hey gents,

I still have the problem and I dunno what I could do. I have found the follow log in the PWdiag.log file:

2009-02-04 13:46:50 Log opened 02/04/09 13:46:50

2009-02-04 13:46:50 Permissions Wizard Version 3.0.0.1

2009-02-04 13:46:50 Unity Version: Unknown

2009-02-04 13:46:50 CRegKey::RecurseDeleteKey() failed Error=[00000002] PWRegInfo.cpp:line(684)

2009-02-04 13:46:50 Setting domain controller to [\\FYP-DC.ad.fyp.ac.uk] for PW binding operations Wiz.cpp:line(662)

2009-02-04 13:46:50 Setting domain controller to [FYP-DC.ad.fyp.ac.uk] for PW ADSI operations Wiz.cpp:line(664)

2009-02-04 13:46:52 LDAP://FYP-DC.ad.fyp.ac.uk/CN=cisco-Ecsbu-UM-Schema-Version,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ad,DC=fyp,DC=ac,DC=uk (null):line(14860616)

2009-02-04 13:46:52 CreateUnityOrgUnit() begin WizIntroPage.cpp:line(627)

2009-02-04 13:46:52 IADs::SetInfo() failed Error=[80072037] WizIntroPage.cpp:line(765)

2009-02-04 13:46:52 CreateUnityOrgUnit() failed Error=[80072037] WizIntroPage.cpp:line(478)

Unfortunately I dunno what this exactly means.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sebastian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: