cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM Alert configuration "Test" Button?

rtuttle
Level 1
Level 1

<p>I am curious if there is a toolbar or command line I can use to test an alert?</p>

<p>Additionally, is there a way to group a site and suspend monitoring for maintenance window. Currently I have to suspend the subscription which means I have to build a bunch of sub groups under the user defined. If this is even possible to build subgroups.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Lastly, when I suspend a device upon clicking suspend I get a splash screen that is missing the pictures and has the white box red x syndrome. Once I click yes I want to submit the next screen is correct. It is clearly happening only when I click suspend?</p>

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no way to generate a test event in DFM unless you actually change something on a managed device.

You can suspend individual devices only.  Typically, this is done in the Detailed Device View.  You can also suspend devices from the command line using the dmctl command.  For example, if you have a router called 10.1.1.1, you can suspend it by running:

NMSROOT/objects/smarts/bin/dmct -s DFM invoke Router::10.1.1.1 unmanage

NMSROOT/objects/smarts/bin/sm_adapter -s DFM NMSROOT/objects/smarts/utils/apply.asl

If you just want to suspend notification subscriptions, then it sounds like that's already working for you.  Yes, it is possible to create sub-groups of other user-defined groups.

Where are you seeing the UI glitch, and what version of DFM are you using?  I'm not seeing this behavior when I suspend a device in DDV.

Okay, I will ask if there is a way to see what and how many alerts are being sent? But I have more so I will start new thread on that.

So I have to use both lines on the cli to suspend monitoring of one device? Or do I need to do both commands to suspend? Also what is the cli command to manage again? same thing just manage?

I will open another thread and attach the UI glitch snapshot.

Thanks,

You need to execute both commands for the suspend to take effect. Yes, to resume, just replace "unmanage" with "manage".

Thanks, I will use this as the "single device suspension procedure" moving forward. I guess I will just have to build subgroup under main sites.

Funny, the Visualizer actually already built site groups (and views) from the main map.

Ok, If I cant send a test trap/page, then where can I see a real time, or near real time log of traps sent?

DFM doesn't use traps all that much. As such, there is no log of traps received. You could set up a sniffer trace filtering on UDP port 162 traffic to see the traps that are arriving on the DFM server. However, DFM will only look at the traps listed at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_device_fault_manager/3.0/user/guide/TrapFwd.html .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: