cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EtherChannel activation

fjcardenas-1
Level 1
Level 1

<p>I created an EtherChannel group 1. I can see both interfaces with the "show etherchannel 1 summary" but both interfaces appear with a (D) instead of (P). I have the same configuration on both switches. I am using ports Fa 0/1 and 0/8. Any hint to why they are not in (P)?</p>

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

if you wish to test failover with your etherchannel you can do the following which will maybe show you visually the changes that happen.

Switch A port 1 X Switch B Port 1

Switch A port 8 - Switch B Port 8

manually shut down interface FA0/1 on Switch A which will bring down the interfaces ur seeing with (Pd) - this will move the default channel to the second link you have in your etherchannel. issue the show etherchannel summary command .. bring the first link buack up be re-enabling FA0/1 on switch A and the default should still be listed on the second link.

Hope this helps a little .. perhaps reading up on etherchannel will give u a greater understanding as well as to how this works and the benefits.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

D means down

are your ports connected and up?

jaystants
Level 1
Level 1

are you using the right cabling for Switch to Switch ? should have in your case 2 cross over cables if you are using only 2 ports in the channel group.

fred.mancen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

Check again your settings on both interfaces. The configuration on ports that belong to a Etherchannel group need to have exactly the same configuration. Speed, duplex, link type, native vlan, etc.

If a port are with just one of these parameters different from its peer, the channel does not work.

Another way to try is to set speed and duplex in auto/auto mode in all ports of the channel, sometimes (and depending on its version) the ports does not work when hardcoded.

HTH.

I reconfigured everything and have the same configuration on the ports. Interfaces are up. I can see the Po1 indicating this:

Fa0/1(Pd) Fa 0/8 (P)

Is (Pd) ok for Fa0/1 or both ports should be in (P)?

(d) stands for default - port in use within the channel group - as you were seeing before (D) signifies down ..

Regards,

Jay Stants

So... is it OK if one interfaces in the EtherChannel has (Pd)?

In that case... is the first port configured in the EtherChannel always the default - port in use?

if you wish to test failover with your etherchannel you can do the following which will maybe show you visually the changes that happen.

Switch A port 1 X Switch B Port 1

Switch A port 8 - Switch B Port 8

manually shut down interface FA0/1 on Switch A which will bring down the interfaces ur seeing with (Pd) - this will move the default channel to the second link you have in your etherchannel. issue the show etherchannel summary command .. bring the first link buack up be re-enabling FA0/1 on switch A and the default should still be listed on the second link.

Hope this helps a little .. perhaps reading up on etherchannel will give u a greater understanding as well as to how this works and the benefits.

Excellent. Thank you.

Francisco,

No problem,Glad everything is working for you and your gaining a better understanding.

Regards,

Jay

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco