Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping and traceroute

itdsmartnet
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

My core router 3845 connected to my remote site with E1 links and connected to my internal network with its sub-interfaces. The following is the sub-interfaces configuration.

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.1

description *********LAN IPS**********

encapsulation dot1Q 1 native

ip address 192.168.5.50 255.255.240.0

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.400

description **********ISP LIVE ROUTEABLE IPS*************

encapsulation dot1Q 400

ip address A.B.C.D 255.255.255.240

when i ping my internal ip from remote site its OK but when i tracert from remote site the packets drops at my core router. There is FTP on inside my network, my remote sites ping its ip but never FTP to that server

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Waseem,

a) traceroute issue

verify with

sh ip int serial (E1 interface)

the settings of ip unreachables

if you have

no ip unreachables under interface serial x/y:15

this can cause this issue

b) is the FTP in a DMZ with a firewall or ACL rules, is the FTP server accessible also from internet ?

you need to verify if remote sites are seen as "outside" from the device that protects the DMZ

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hi Giuseppe, thanks for your immediate reply,

i have seen the serial interface there is " ICMP unreachables are always sent" i can ping my machine from remote router but i cann't do traceroute. Packets drops at the core router. My machine also pings the remote machine and my machine also show the output of traceroute.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: