When forwarded to Unity and subscriber doesn't exist

Answered Question
Feb 2nd, 2009

If a call ends up in Unity (I'm using Unity 5) and the subscriber doesn't exist (ie, they don't have a Unity account) can I forward these calls to a single fallback number - like switchboard ?

I have all Extension Mobility users configured to forward to VM when not registered etc. I would prefer, if possible to have Unity forward calls for users who dont have Unity accounts to a single alternative number rather than just play the caller the Unity main menu.

I understand that I could set this alternative number on a per users device profile so the call never goes to Unity - But I would rather have a "catch all" option in Unity to ensure these calls are handled correctly, rather than be reliant on the setting being correct on each users UDP.

I hope this make sense ?

Essentially as if there was a "If sucriber doesn't exist forward to xxx" type rule ?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by lindborg about 7 years 11 months ago

I'd create a new rule for this for sure - editing the default rule shouldn't be allowed (if it is it's a bug actually).

Create a new rule to go to a new call handler specific to this purpose.

Yes, you should be able to setup a range of extensions in the forwarding station property.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
lindborg Mon, 02/02/2009 - 08:08

Well, really what you mean is if the forwarding number is not found then go to XXX - we can't know the forwarding number was coming from a phone for a subscriber that doesn't have a local mailbox.

In the routing rules you can add a forwarding rule that triggers after the attempt-forward-to-greeting rule (this is the rule that will dump you to a subscrier's greeting if the forwarding number matches one of their extensions). You can configure it to trigger on any number or a range of numbers if you know what they would be and have it go to a specific call handler to play a specific greeting - if you'd rather you can have that greetting be blank and send it to another call handler configured to do a blind transfer to a receptionist phone or the like - you can do what you want in that respect.

This way direct calls that come in will still go to the opening greeting if the calling number is not a subscriber's extension but calls that forward in wont.

You can get burned if you have other calls forwarding in that you don't want Unity to assume are subscribers without a mailbox on the local box - so be careful - if you have a specific range of extensions in mind it'd be good to limit the rule to only those.

ajenks Mon, 02/02/2009 - 08:17

Thanks lindborg, that is what I meant.

Should I modify the "default call handler" to achieve this or create one above it ?

How would I limit this to a range of numbers, can I use wildcards in the "forwarding station" ? I guess, if I can, it answers my first question in that I could create a more specific rule, rather than using the default call handler (which is the catch all?)

Correct Answer
lindborg Mon, 02/02/2009 - 08:55

I'd create a new rule for this for sure - editing the default rule shouldn't be allowed (if it is it's a bug actually).

Create a new rule to go to a new call handler specific to this purpose.

Yes, you should be able to setup a range of extensions in the forwarding station property.

Actions

This Discussion