Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing UDP application in ACE

pedrosegura
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

What's the proper way to load balance a UDP application (NTP protocol) using ACE? We used to do it in our CSS using a content to load-balance and a source group to source-NAT the UDP replies from the servers to the VIP. I guess this should be implemented using NAT in the ACE, but I can't find any example.

According to the manual, src-natting to VIPs is supported only in A1(8) and it is supposed to be used "when there is a limited number of real-world IP addresses on the client-side network".

This is not our case, we just need to ensure that the client receives the UDP replies as coming from the VIP, not from real IP address of the server. This is not a problem in TCP-based applications, because the NAT from the rserver IP to the VIP is automatic. What is the proper way to obtain this behaviour for UDP applications? Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Pedro

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pedro,

reverse nating is not required in ACE world.

This is done automatically.

So, the server response will be automatically nated to the vip address when going back to the client.

If you have an appliance and are just deploying now, I would recommend version A3(2.1).

If you have a module go for A2(1.3).

Gilles

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pedro,

reverse nating is not required in ACE world.

This is done automatically.

So, the server response will be automatically nated to the vip address when going back to the client.

If you have an appliance and are just deploying now, I would recommend version A3(2.1).

If you have a module go for A2(1.3).

Gilles

Hello Gilles,

That's right, we just tried and the src-NAT to the VIP is automatic. Thanks a lot for your great help!

Regards,

Pedro

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: