cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What ssh terminal software do you use?

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have putty, but I don't really like the inability to modify the window parameters very much.

Does anyone have any suggestion on a better one?

That maybe looks like a telnet session via DOS, but is encrypted?

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard

In my experience most people who want SSH client in freeware use putty. I have heard that TeraTerm Pro has an addin that can allow it to do SSH but I have no experience with that part of TeraTerm (I used to use TeraTerm as my terminal emulator and like it a lot).

For people who are willing to purchase a product for SSH client I use SecurCRT for SSH (and for telnet and for console) and find that it works very well for me.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What window parameters you can't modify? Once set I save the settings and it does exactly what I want.

In the dos window, I can set the buffer size to 9999

and widen the window also, to the size I want it.

Putty seems to be limited to how much you can modify the window.

Also, copy a single line of config from the displayed window.

SecureCRT is the best, hands down.

Hi, in putty you change these from configuration->window. For an already opened session, click putty icon on top left corner then "change settings.."

Select and copy a single line by clicking three times, paste with right mouse button. Putty has selection auto-copy to clipboard, so it's really fast in that regard.

Hello Richard,

when you open a new putty session go to

window -> lines of scrollback :

I can set this to 20000 lines with no problem

under logging :

select logging printable output only and specify log filename you can change dir path using the browse button

when you want to stop to log just do

logging -> logging turned off completely so that the log file is closed.

2) Also, copy a single line of config from the displayed window.

I think you are using an old version I can copy by simply selecting multiple lines with mouse (automatically makes a copy of selected test).

check on

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco