cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Email notification for Voice messages. Cisco Unity 4.2 Build 4.2(1)

matt22coll
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Hopefully one of you can help out.

We are running Unity 4.1 with Exchange Off box in its own domain, voicemail.local separate from the corporate Exchange.

We didn't go for full unified messaging as we are planning to upgrade to Exchange 2007 and didn't want to pay for Cisco's UM licence. Also with Cisco new licensing they are bundling it all up anyway. What I would like to do is send an email notification to my corporate email address (matt@mycompany.com for example) informing me I have a new voicemail message. Can this be done in Unity 4.2 with standard licences? If so has anyone set this up or point me in the right direction.

Regards

Matthew

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cisco Unity does allow you to configure an SMTP address for notifications. This can be done per subscriber via the SA or CPCA.

SA --> Subscriber --> Message Notification

Text Pager 1

Text Pager 2

Text for Cisco Unity Inbox

CPCA --> Unity Assistant --> Notification Devices

Text for Unity Inbox

Text Pager

Text Pager 2

You will more than likely have to configure an SMTP connector on the Cisco Unity partner Exchange server to route messages to your corporate Exchange server.

Exchange System Manager --> First Organization --> Administrative Groups --> First Administrative Group --> Connectors

1. Right click on Connectors and choose "New" --> "SMTP Connector".

2. On the General tab, choose "Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts", and enter the IP address of your corporate Exchange server with brackets around it (i.e. [10.10.10.10] ).

3. On the Address Space tab choose Add, and select SMTP. For the email domain, enter your corporate domain (i.e. cisco.com). This connector should then only route message notifications that are addressed to your corporate domain and not your voice messages too.

I suppose there could be networking issues (firewalls etc.) that could prevent this. But in theory this should work. This is how I have my lab system set up for testing purposes.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

kelvin.blair
Level 5
Level 5

You can configure your outlook client to connect via imap to the Unity Exchange partner server. This will allow you to get message notification into your outlook client. Make sure you enable IMAP on that Exchange partner server via the Exchange System Manager protocols. You will need to setup outlook to authenicate with the user account currently configured on that voicemail.local domain.

If this helps, please rate post.

Thanks for the reply Kelvin,

But this won't really work on our setup, our users don't know the Voicemail AD account details and I believe it isn't that scalable as we would have to do this on every outlook client. Also the people asking for this want the email on their Blackberry. Should have put this on the original post.

I know this is a feature on Unity connection as I had set it up on a CUCM BE using Mail relay

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cisco Unity does allow you to configure an SMTP address for notifications. This can be done per subscriber via the SA or CPCA.

SA --> Subscriber --> Message Notification

Text Pager 1

Text Pager 2

Text for Cisco Unity Inbox

CPCA --> Unity Assistant --> Notification Devices

Text for Unity Inbox

Text Pager

Text Pager 2

You will more than likely have to configure an SMTP connector on the Cisco Unity partner Exchange server to route messages to your corporate Exchange server.

Exchange System Manager --> First Organization --> Administrative Groups --> First Administrative Group --> Connectors

1. Right click on Connectors and choose "New" --> "SMTP Connector".

2. On the General tab, choose "Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts", and enter the IP address of your corporate Exchange server with brackets around it (i.e. [10.10.10.10] ).

3. On the Address Space tab choose Add, and select SMTP. For the email domain, enter your corporate domain (i.e. cisco.com). This connector should then only route message notifications that are addressed to your corporate domain and not your voice messages too.

I suppose there could be networking issues (firewalls etc.) that could prevent this. But in theory this should work. This is how I have my lab system set up for testing purposes.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Chris,

Got it working and rated your post.

Just one thing. At the moment the Email message comes from Unity Messaging System Unity@voicemail.local Is there any was of changing this to something like Unity Messaging System DoNotReply@corporate.com

Thanks

Matthew

Hey Matthew, I just tested that in my test environment, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

In Active Directory Users and Computers, I changed the email address for my Unity_ user account to DoNotReply@cisco.com and all seemed fine.

I even rebooted Unity just to make sure it didn't cause any other issues, and I was able to leave and retrieve messages just fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: