cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO 3825 PoE Troubleshooting assist

kirbyw001
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 3825 with an HWIC-D-9-ESW-POE module. I had a Cisco 7940 VoIP phone configured and operating fine on the fa 0/1/0 port. Recently I discovered my VoIP was not getting power and I noticed a solid amber LED on the fa 0/1/0 port. I checked the port and did a "show power inline" and discovered that the fa 0/1/0 port configuration and changed to off. I reconfigured it back to auto and the setting took and the amber LED disappeared. However, my VoIP is still not getting power. I tried the VoIP in the other ports (fa 0/1/1 - 0/1/7) with the same results. I also tried a known good working VoIP with the same results. I have cycled power on the router and reseated the HWIC module, and still no change in status.

I am trying to narrow this problem down to an defective HWIC, power module daughter board, or an inline power supply. Haven't found too much in the way of fault isolation for this and would appreciate any and all suggestions/feedback.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try the following commands on the HWIC:

sh post

sh environ all

sh post gives me an illegal in entry, what level is this command issued at?

sh environ all reveals all power supply voltages and temps are good and fans operating normal but did indicate fan speed is high.

I had an opportunity to open and inspect the router but did not see anything obvious. Was thinking about putting the HWIC in slots 2 & 3 but haven't made up my mind yet. While I had the router out I powered in on and plugged my VoIP in and I did notice that the power LED blinked about once every 6 seconds. Figured that was the Voip trying to access the router. All ports come up/up in a normal ethernet connection.

Do you have an optional power module (to provide inline power for IP telephones) installed to the HWIC-D-9ESW? What is the output with the command of "sh power inline"?

Please refer to the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/configuration/guide/lsw_hwic_ethsw_ic.html#wp1043334

"There is no inline power on the ninth port (port 8) of the HWIC-D-9ESW card."

Can you try to move the phone to a different port?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card