Views
Helpful
Replies

Router(boot)

scottm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco 2501; after a power outage it will only boot to "boot mode". The register is set to 0x2102 and "sh flash" displays the valid image.

The router config is still then, and is loaded to RAM (sh run) on boot. The local FaEth (LAN) address responds to a ping. However, the WAN traffic doesn't route.

I attempted to change the config-reg to 0x2102 (just to make sure) and perform a reload, but the result is the same.

What troubleshooting options can I take? Or is this router config corrupt?

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The IOS could be corrupt or missing.

Try Xmodem Console Download Procedure Using ROMmon (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml).

rmcarthur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Scott, going old-school here with a 2500!

Try setting the config-register to 0x2101.

0x2102 is setting it up for a tftp netboot with reversion to RXboot if that fails. That's probably why you are getting to Router mode everytime.

Hope this helps

Actually 0x2102 is normal boot from flash. 0x2101 is boot to helper image.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a008022493f.shtml

One need to see the full boot log to say what's going on.

You are off course correct Paolo.

I was looking through my old upgrade notes and mis-read them. Doh!

Thanks for pointing out my error.

Yeah, the 2500 series is a bit old school. However on a SMB budget, money is better spend on new hardware in leui of replacing hardware that has worked. However, in light of this mishap, it's now replaced with a 2811.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Why you need to change the config register?? u will need to change the config register to bypass the NVRAM and boot from Rommon.

pls be more specific,

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: