cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Logging port activity

kirbyw001
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to troubleshoot my VoIP phone not powering up when I connect it to my fa 0/1/0 on a 3825 with an HWIC-D-9ESW with the PoE option installed. The phone used to work but just stopped. When I plug it into any port on the HWIC the power LED blinks about once every 6 seconds. I would like to see if I can capture any logging the port is doing to further analyze this problem.

Appreciate any help.

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Does the HWIC-D-9ESW have an optional power module to provide inline power for IP telephones?

What is the output to the command: sh power inline

It the HWIC does have the inline power supply for IP phones. In fact this phone used to work on in this current configuration.

When I do "sho power inline" I get the output below.

sho power inline

PowerSupply SlotNum. Maximum Allocated Status

----------- -------- ------- --------- ------

INT-PS 0 360.000 0.000 PS1 GOOD

Interface Config Device Powered PowerAllocated

--------- ------ ------ ------- --------------

Fa0/1/0 auto Unknown Off 0.000 Watts

Fa0/1/1 auto Unknown Off 0.000 Watts

Fa0/1/2 auto Unknown Off 0.000 Watts

Fa0/1/3 auto Unknown Off 0.000 Watts

Fa0/1/4 auto Unknown Off 0.000 Watts

Fa0/1/5 auto Unknown Off 0.000 Watts

Fa0/1/6 auto Unknown Off 0.000 Watts

Fa0/1/7 auto Unknown Off 0.000 Watts

The VoIP telephone is currently connected to fa 0/1/7.

What is the IOS and feature of the router?

"The phone used to work but just stopped.", have you tried other phones? Have you tried to plug this phone to other PoE ports? Have you tried using a power brick?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please refer to the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/configuration/guide/lsw_hwic_ethsw_ic.html#wp1043334

"There is no inline power on the ninth port (port 8) of the HWIC-D-9ESW card."

Can you try to move the phone to a different port?

The IOS is 12.4

I have tried this phone and a spare in multiple ports except fa 0/1/8 since it is not PoE capable. Also I have tried both phones on other PoE devices and they work fine. As for a power brick, I do not have one available.

So basically, if you plug this (and only this) phone to any other ports, it won't power up but other phones will. Is this correct?

no phone would power up on this router but would on another PoE device.

However, I found my problem....it turned out to be two faulty ethernet cables that would work for a PC but would not provide PoE for my VoIP. What pins on the ethernet cable is the power on? Does it travel the same pins as the RX/TX data (1, 2, 3, & 6)?

PoE uses pin 4 & 5.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: