Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vtp pruning or allowed id vlan

I have 6509 for core switch and edge 3750. I have 30 vlans that distribuite with vtp and vtp pruning for avoid brodcast and another traffic generate to vlan. Which is the best solutions ? Vtp pruning or no vtp pruning but allowed only vlan that I need in the switch to the trunk port.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Roberto,

I don't think you will have problem with Rapid-PVST.

Its convergence time is much faster than that of the traditional STP.

Cheers:

Istvan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

i think it is the same thing but with pruning the config will be dynamic.

if you don't choose pruning, in case of change in your vlan location you must do it manually in all your switches.

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Roberto,

With VTP Pruning, broadcasts are not propagated on trunks for vlans that have no users on any ports on a specific switch.

But: STP (and BPDUs) is still running for the vlans pruned on the trunks.

With the use of the "switchport trunk allowed vlan" command you can disable entire vlans from trunks, thereby disabling user traffic and STP (and BPDUs) for those vlans.

When to use "switchport trunk allowed vlan":

If you do not plan to have users on a given switch in specific vlans in the future, then you can disable those vlans from respective trunks entirely with the "switchport trunk allowed vlan" command.

This will also economize some bandwidth and processor cycles for the switches.

But if you want to preserve those vlans on the trunks because users are likely to become alive on those vlans, then you can use pruning.

Cheers:

Istvan

Hi Istvan,

O.K.

I suppose that I don't use vlan pruning, because I have 5 building and each building has 2 vlans 1 for voice(id 9) , 1 for data(id 22). So I have trunk allowed vlan 9,22.

Have I something problem with Rapid-pvst ? My root is core (6509) for any vlans.

thanks.

Hi Roberto,

I don't think you will have problem with Rapid-PVST.

Its convergence time is much faster than that of the traditional STP.

Cheers:

Istvan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco