Replace analog modem dial-up line with router leased line

Answered Question
Feb 2nd, 2009
User Badges:

Here is my situation. I am trying to replace existing modem dial-up connection that looks something like this -

Local PC --- Modem (Ext.) --- phone line --- Modem (Ext.) --- Remote Repeater Station

The Local PC will dial into the Remote Repeater Station (RRS) to perform configuration tasks. It is able to dial into any RRS that has a modem attached one at a time.

My objective is to be able to perform the same configuration tasks without the modems and phone line. I have already established a router-leased line-router connection between the local and remote sites. Can you tell me what Cisco Card/Module/Cable/etc is necessary for me to use and the configuration needed on the routers?

Thanks.

Correct Answer by paolo bevilacqua about 8 years 4 months ago

Very good. Remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
paolo bevilacqua Tue, 02/03/2009 - 03:04
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Please explain in detail what is that you have "already established", and why you are asking since you have "already established".

pllim Tue, 02/03/2009 - 17:47
User Badges:

I have only connected the two routers together over a leased line. Both routers can communicate (PING) with each other. The PC and RRS are not connected to the routers.

pllim Tue, 02/03/2009 - 17:52
User Badges:

I am doing this test in a lab environment. The 2 routers are connected using their Ethernet port via a UTP cable. Both routers are also installed with Async/Sync serial network module.

Router A - IP address 10.80.1.1/16

Router B - IP address 10.80.1.2/16

paolo bevilacqua Wed, 02/04/2009 - 03:30
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Very good, now what's your question ?

pllim Wed, 02/04/2009 - 17:18
User Badges:

I would like to connect a PC to the Local Router and the RSS to the Remote Router? The RSS has a Serial DB25 (female) port that acts like a Cisco Console port.

I need the PC to be able to connect to the RSS to perform configuration tasks on the RSS. Can you tell what Cisco card/module/cable/etc are required? Also, what is the configuration on the Cisco Routers?

Thank you.

paolo bevilacqua Wed, 02/04/2009 - 19:54
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

On the remote router, do sh line to see which line you have connected the rss. From the pc, telnet to port 2000 + line number. You can search for "terminal server" in the documentation.

pllim Thu, 02/05/2009 - 16:53
User Badges:

Thanks a lot.

I got it working.

Correct Answer
paolo bevilacqua Fri, 02/06/2009 - 05:08
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Very good. Remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

Actions

This Discussion