cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM Stuck - Configuration update in progress by another process....

cisco_lite
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am not able to go into configuration mode of FWSM. Upon 'config t', I get 'Configuration update in progress by another process....'

I read thru following article.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/mod_icn/fwsm/fwsm_3_1/fwsm_cfg/mgacc_f.htm

It talks about how to avoid this in future i.e. using pager lines 0.

But how can I get out of it while being stuck. I have disconnected the sessions from Cat6500. What else should I do to get out of the stuck state.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It might be because you committed an ACL and console hung occurred (CSCsu83857)

Please check if you code is open for CSCsu83857.

By disabling the paging, you ensure that dont run into this issue because of a "show run" stuck at more prompt in any other session.

Syed Iftekhar Ahmed

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

It might be because you committed an ACL and console hung occurred (CSCsu83857)

Please check if you code is open for CSCsu83857.

By disabling the paging, you ensure that dont run into this issue because of a "show run" stuck at more prompt in any other session.

Syed Iftekhar Ahmed

If I do 'pager lines 0', how can I break out of the scrolling display of 'show run'.

pager line 0 disables the "more" you see on

while running "show run".

you could run into the issue (that you mentioned) because of a "show run" stuck at "more prompt" in any other session.

Syed Iftekhar Ahmed

Yes, I get that but how can I use 'show run' in the proper way after disabling pager lines.

How can I perform normal functions with regards to displaying, reviewing, analyzing the running config for e.g. using Putty, if the complete config is thrown on the screen.

I was just trying to explain why "pager line 0" is recommended by cisco.

You just need to ensure that in any session you dont keep a session at more prompt. :)

If you are the only person managing these FWSMs then its possible but if there are multiple people managing it then its hard to follow.

Syed

Alejandro Ruiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

sorry, I know that this is a very old post but I just got the same problem yesterday with our FWSM. One of my coworkers logged into the device and he did a show run, and the session just got locked at the more prompt (the actual session just timed out). Google brought me to this post trying to solve the issue with no luck.

We were actually very lucky as we always console into our devices using a management router, so it was just a matter of killing all the telnet sessions from that management router to the FWSM, and that fixed the issue:

1) Show the active sessions:

CE_MGMT_RT01#sh sessions

2) kill all the sesssions to the FWSM

CE_MGMT_RT01#kill 1 (or 2, 3, ...,etc)

Just thought of posting my solution in case someone comes across this problem. It bloody took me around two hours to figure this out. The only catch is that you have had consoled into the device using an intermediate device, otherwise, don't know which would be the solution.

Alex.

this worked for me too... thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card