cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505 Copy configuration from one device to another

hill.kevin
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA5505. Is there an easy way to copy the configuration from this device to another ASA5505?

Thanks,

Kevin

4 Replies 4

pstebner10
Level 1
Level 1

Kevin-

There are a few different ways to do this. If you have a TFTP server app on your desktop, start it up and send the config from the ASA to it:

copy running-config tftp:

Then open it in WordPad - don't use Notepad as the formatting is all screwy. Then, copy the whole thing and paste it to the console of the other ASA using something like HyperTerm.

If you don't have a TFTP server just go to the console of the first ASA using HyperTerm and use the Transfer menu to 'capture text'. Issue the command 'pager lines 1000' in config mode on the ASA first, so that there are no page-breaks. Then do a 'sh run' and the whole config will be captured. Finally, in HyperTerm, go to Transfer -> Capture Text -> Stop, and your config will be saved. Then copy and paste it to the 2nd ASA just like above.

Set your first ASA back to 'pager lines 24'...

HTH,

Paul

Thanks!

I would not paste the config in the new asa. I'd just config a ip adress at the new asa and then download the saved cfg from the tftp server

copy tftp:/// startup-config

after reload the config is active.

I agree with Vincent - I used the 'pasting' example as it is easy to do via a console session without having to configure any parameters on the ASA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: