cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN access but Losing Internet randomly

richkrissi
Level 1
Level 1

Have 10-12 XP pro pcs on a lan with dhcp from a pix501. I have two machines that lose internet access, but the others dont. It appears to happen randomly, and then they just start working. When it happens they can still access shares on other pcs and server apps, just no internet access.Reboots dont fix,disabling the nic and renabling does not work as well. The other pc's do not have any problems. Have checked for spyware,virus, etc.. machines ( Dell 3000's) seem clean and do work well. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you only have a 10 user license on the PIX? If so, this would make sense. Do a "sh ver" and it will tell you. You will only be allowed 10 outbound connections. You can also test this by shutting down two other systems, and see if the others work.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you only have a 10 user license on the PIX? If so, this would make sense. Do a "sh ver" and it will tell you. You will only be allowed 10 outbound connections. You can also test this by shutting down two other systems, and see if the others work.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I will check that...it is an office that I help support on my own time. That makes sense...this has been driving me crazy for the last couple weeks. If if is indeed a 10 user license then that is the case. Thank YOU! I will follow up with you once I have verified.

This turned out to be the case. Thanks John!!

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

If problem PC can access ahares and server apps when the issue happened, I think the problem might not be on PC side.

Next time when issue happens, you can try the following:

1. Ping from problem PC to

a. default GW

b. 4.2.2.2 to see if you can reach outside.

c. a website site (to see if DNS is OK)

2. Check PIX to see if there is any entry for problem PC in NAT translation table.

3. Check your PIX log to see if there is any message regarding to problem PC's IP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card