Is there a 2501 that SHOULDN'T do tftp?

Unanswered Question
Feb 3rd, 2009

I'm having trouble with a newly acquired 2501 for my CCNP lab; it won't accept tftp-server commands with flash images as the argument. This router has other malfunctions as well and I quite believe the eBay seller is a weasel.

He has claimed in our email exchanges that "not all routers support being a tftp-server."

I believe, and would like some of the experts here to confirm, that that claim is utter BS. It's a 2501 with IOS 12.3(24). Are there any IOS 12 images out there that _exclude_ tftp server functionality? Is 12.3(24) one of them?

I'd really like a consensus on this before I began official grievance proceedings against the seller.

Thanks.

Overall Rating: 3 (1 ratings)
Richard Burts Tue, 02/03/2009 - 10:17

Seth

Every 2500 router that I worked with had support for TFTP server. I remember that as it got into the late releases for the 2500 and memory was a constraint that some features did get removed. I do not remember if tftp server was one of those.

I do remember that the syntax for enabling tftp server on the 2500 was a bit different from the syntax that we use on more current models. I would suggest that you use on line help and see what it shows about tftp support. I would start with:

tftp?

if it indicates that there is a tftp-server option then I would use on line help to find what parameters it expects.

HTH

Rick

CriscoSystems Tue, 02/03/2009 - 10:24

Thanks Rick - is there a place on the Cisco website that officially tracks the IOS releases and their added / removed features?

I've posted a few topics about this in the Network Infrastructure > Network Management forum as well. The problem router accepts tftp-server but online help announces it will only accept filenames starting with system:, nvram:, or null:. Which means I can't back up the IOS image; a top priority.

Richard Burts Tue, 02/03/2009 - 12:42

Seth

The Release Notes for a release are the place where new features or removed features are tracked.

Perhaps there is something that I do not understand about your issue. Why do you need tftp server to back up the IOS image. A simple copy flash tftp should copy the image to a TFTP server without needing tftp server to be configured on the router? Did I miss something?

HTH

Rick

CriscoSystems Tue, 02/03/2009 - 13:03

Yes, I did do a PUT from flash to my trusty ol' TFTP server. The problem is that without a tftp-server flash:blablabla command configured, the image won't be available for GET's via TFTP; and I'd like that flexibility.

The real "issue" I have is with this eBay weasel who described the item as 100% functional, which I don't believe it is [he shipped the blamed thing in a spacious box with no padding; so it was free to slide and bang around during shipping]. I believe it were 100% functional it would accept flash: as a parameter to the tftp-server command. When I emailed him about this he suggested I do a PUT to another server, or use rcp, really not getting the message that he sent FAULTY MERCHANDISE.

OK, done griping for now.

Hey where the heck's the Release Notes for this IOS?

avillalva Tue, 02/03/2009 - 17:16

Hi,

You could use Xmodem (through the console) to upgrade to another image that does have the functionality you require.

HTH,

Andres

Actions

This Discussion