cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Delay Mark as Read and Outlook rules with forward

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

The question is does Delay Mark as Read effect Outlook Rules as well? Having a Outlook rule that forwards in 4.0(5) would leave the message marked as Read, where-as 5.0(1) would not mark message as read.

Conversation - Delay Mark As Read

Conversation - Delay Mark As Read

When enabled (default), a message will be marked as read only after a user has completely finished with the message and moved onto the next one without saving it as new.

When disabled (old behavior prior to this feature), a message would be marked as read as soon as the user begins to start listening to it.

0 - Mark message read when beginning to play (old behavior)

1 - Mark message read when the user is finished with it. (Default)

Problem is;

3522 Tech Services has an Exchange rule to Forward the message. You can still listen to the message via the TUI if you dial the Pilot number and log into 3522. This is expected as the behavior changed after 5.0 upgrade to mark as unread.

3 Replies 3

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

The delay mark as read setting applies only when listening to the message over the telephone.

I have to assume if you have an Outlook rule set up to forward the message elsewhere, you must be forwarding a copy of the message, otherwise the message would not be available over the phone.

Perhaps your Outlook rule is marking the message as read and forwarding a copy???

I've attached a Outlook Web Access copy of the rule. 4.0(5) left these messages as read, while 5.0(1) is leaving them unread.

Im not sure I completely follow what is going on.

Are you saying that the message is new in the forwarded mailbox destination (AEL Tech Support) or the copy that is left in the original mailbox?

If it is the copy that is left in the original mailbox, then Unity is old going to change the status of that message to read when you call in and listen to it over the phone. If you have the delay mark as read setting enabled, then you will have to listen to the entire message otherwise the message will remain new. If you have the setting disabled, then it will be marked as read as soon as the message starts to play back.