Views
Helpful
Replies

about upgrade from 4.2.3 to 6.1.2

rachelau_2005
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to upgrade the call manager from 4.2.3 to 6.1.2

I will be using a new server instead of the existing one for call manager...

I have generated two files ( tar file and platformconfig.xml) using data migration assistance 6.1.2 ....

I have installed the call manager 6.1.2 in a new server...

how can I migrate all the data across to this new server ( without rebuilding the 6.1.2 from scratch)?

I have checked the cisco document upgrading cisco unified communication manager 6.1.2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/6_1_2/upgrd612.html

however this document just show how to upgrade it by building the new call manager 6.1.2 from scratch again..

is there any way I can use my existing 6.1.2 server ( which doesnt have any data inside)... and can migrate my old data from 4.2.3 via the files I got using DMA?

thanks

kind regards

Rachel

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DMA is to be used exclusively during the installation when you're prompted whether it's going to be a fresh install or a migration. after the server has been installed only a 6.1(2) backup can restore data

you need to rebuild from scratch and choose this is going to be an upgrade so you're asked for the tar file DMA generated

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rachel,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Java (+5 points my friend)

This is a great question! Sadly you will need to re-build to new box choosing the Windows migration option if you want to use the DMA .tar file as this Step is done on the build of the first Node:(

Import Windows Data

This option allows you to import database information from a Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x system by using a file that the Data Migration Assistant (DMA) tool produces.

Upgrading the First Cisco Unified Communications Manager Node

When you choose Windows Upgrade, the installation wizard prompts you for the location of the preexisting Windows configuration information that the Data Migration Assistant (DMA) tool created. See the Data Migration Assistant User Guide for more information on the DMA tool.

Step 1 - In the Windows Upgrade window, import data from a Windows version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager by choosing Yes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/6_1_1/upgrd611-pdf.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DMA is to be used exclusively during the installation when you're prompted whether it's going to be a fresh install or a migration. after the server has been installed only a 6.1(2) backup can restore data

you need to rebuild from scratch and choose this is going to be an upgrade so you're asked for the tar file DMA generated

HTH

java

HTH

java

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rachel,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Java (+5 points my friend)

This is a great question! Sadly you will need to re-build to new box choosing the Windows migration option if you want to use the DMA .tar file as this Step is done on the build of the first Node:(

Import Windows Data

This option allows you to import database information from a Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x system by using a file that the Data Migration Assistant (DMA) tool produces.

Upgrading the First Cisco Unified Communications Manager Node

When you choose Windows Upgrade, the installation wizard prompts you for the location of the preexisting Windows configuration information that the Data Migration Assistant (DMA) tool created. See the Data Migration Assistant User Guide for more information on the DMA tool.

Step 1 - In the Windows Upgrade window, import data from a Windows version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager by choosing Yes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/6_1_1/upgrd611-pdf.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: