Views
Helpful
Replies

UCM 7 and DHCP

rod.blackie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi netpro's - easy question.

I am upgrading CCM 4.1.3 to UCM 7.x and have about 800 phones on our network.

Is it easier to stick with the DHCP ooption on the new UCM box, or should I go with local DHCP distrabuted from switches/routers at each of my 9 sites?

Thanks

Rod

2 Replies 2

pkavanag
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rod.

It depends on many factors!

Do you use separate voice and data VLANs at your nine sites?

You would only want to use CUCM to provise DHCP leases for your phones, right? So if you are doing local DHCP at each site (either using a pool on an IOS device, or another DHCP server) then it might make sense to serve locally. Alternatively you could use ip-helper to send DHCP requests across WAN back to CUCM.

My personal choice is to do locally, as I am then not exposed to WAN outages, but the best solution for you will depend on how your network (LAN & WAN) is configured and what HW you have etc.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

We currently have voice and data vlans on each site with helper commands pointing to the CM4.1 server. I think I will look to deploying it locally as I take your point about WAN outages, this way Im not relying on 1 source for DHCP scope.

Thanks.

rod

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: