Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.1 NIC Teaming

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello All,

I have a Unity 4.1(Windows 2000 Server)installed in an HP MCS 7835. In the back of the server I see two available NIC cards (NIC 1 and NIC 2). For now, one of them is beeing used but I would like to enable the Teaming for failover. When I go to the HP Network Configuration Utility, I see only one available NIC. It doesn't even give me the option of Teaming because there's only one NIC displayed but there're definitely two physical NIC cards in the server. Is there anywhere else that I have to go to enable the sencond card before performing the Teaming? I am attaching the print screen of the HP Utility.

Thanks,

9 Replies 9

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure you are running the latest HP software for teaming. It should work, unless someone had disabled the second NIC card on your server. Check in Windows Devices the card is enabled and loaded, etc. Then install the latest HP Teaming software. The older software has had issues.

Remember, the NIC cards can only be in Network Fault Tolerant. NFT. IF you are using a Unity Failover server, I would recommend NOT using Teaming. (at least in this version) I had nothing but issues with failover and teamed NICS in Unity 4.1.

Thanks Tommer,

It was disabled in the Device Manager. I enabled it and now both cards appear in the HP Utility but again I am not able to do the teaming. Is that because the second NIC card is not connected to the network? I am posting the print screen with the error message at the bottom of the page.

Thanks,

Sorry, here's the attachment. Do I need to assign a different IP Address to the second NIC card?

Could someone please let me know if I need to assign a different IP Address for the second NIC card in the case of a NIC teaming?

Thanks,

Did you update the software yet? You need to that before you do anything. Also, when you Team NICs, you dont need to assign a second IP address.

You should be able to click on each card to highlight them. Then select teaming. It will then team the cards together. Once they are teamed, you will have a new Windows Network device called HP Team #1 I believe. This is where you then set your original static IP, DNS, etc. NIC 1 and NIC2 do not have static IPs.

Thanks Tommer,

The HP Utility version I have is as follow:

1)HP utility in Unity server is 8.10.0.19

2)HP utility in Exchange server is 8.40.0.24

Do you think I need to upgrade them? If so could you please point me to the link where I can get the latest version?

Can I do the teaming using Windows remote desktop? Do I need to reboot the servers once the Teaming is completed?

I also have two CCM 5.1 (Pub & Sub) which are Linux. I guess the teaming is much easier than the one in Windows. All I need is to enable the failover using "Set network failover enable" conmmand and reboot the servers. Is there anything else that I need to do?

Thanks again,

Thanks Tommer,

I guess, I am OK with the version of the HP Utility. Am I mistaken?

If it works and does not give you troubles, you should be fine. You can check around HP's website for updates to the software. I could not find it on Cisco's site

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: