Views
Helpful
Replies

easy way to find the name of a cisco access point

jamescox3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i just recently enherted a 175 cisco access point wireless network, its all running on lwapp, with a wisim blade in our core.

the person before me that installed the network gave all of the access points crazy names that don't make much sense, where i would name an access out side of conference room 203, the building name HS-102, he named it HS-random number.

i'm looking for an easy way to find out what the names of the AP are so i can rename them. i know that i can console them and see the name but some are 12 feet high and hard to reach. i was hoping that there was some way to scan the wifi and see what ap names are around me and look at signal strength when i was standing under one to find the name.

i'm also going to ask cisco tac if there is a way to make the led indicator lights blink to help me identify them.

i have thought of using a product like netstumbler or kismac, but havent had much luck as i do most of my work on a mac and those apps dont show the ap name only the ssid

thanks

5 Replies 5

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Well, if you have AirMagnet Survey, you can do a survey and lock down the locations and names of access points pretty well. I actually just did the same thing to get some documentation up to do.

Without AirMagnet, your best bet is to walk around and try to associate to an AP by standing directly below it. You can then either use your client utility to determine your AP name, or you can use the WLC to see which AP you're connected to.

This is not a fun task at all :/

no it really isn't, i wish the guy before me would have taken 2 hours and done this right the 1st time, i'll be luckly if it takes me 2 weeks

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

You can enable cdp on the switch ports,

pull the cdp info off the switches and the mac address table. You can then print out an inventory report from WCS and compare the mac entries. You will then be able to identify them easier with sniffing tools as stated in the other post.

i was thinking about using cdp to figure it out. i need to figure out why cdp is not turned on in the wisim, cause right now i do not see any of my ap's on the switches in cdp

Cdp needs to be turned off on the wism, you will want to enable it on the ports that your APs connect to

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: