cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP traps for dropped packets on a QoS policy

Chris Driggers
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if there is functionality to set up SNMP traps for packet loss on a priority queue in a LLQ QoS policy? In a scenario where you have many connecting routers, it would be nice to have alerts configured for a situation where not enough bandwidth is set up for the voice priority queue on the WAN service policy.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I didn't know if there was a command I can run on the routers themselves to make sure they are sending the traps when the priority queue sees a drop

Sorry, there isn't. You need a NMS Tool to do that for you. Sending traps while packets are dropping will place an extra burden into the router's CPU.

If you are using Modular QoS CLI (MQC), you can view the drops in the priority queue with the show policy-map interface command. While this is a manual process, it provides some level of monitoring for those w/o a NMS tool such as QPM.

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

We are using a 3rd party SNMP utility, so I didn't know if there was a command I can run on the routers themselves to make sure they are sending the traps when the priority queue sees a drop.

I didn't know if there was a command I can run on the routers themselves to make sure they are sending the traps when the priority queue sees a drop

Sorry, there isn't. You need a NMS Tool to do that for you. Sending traps while packets are dropping will place an extra burden into the router's CPU.

If you are using Modular QoS CLI (MQC), you can view the drops in the priority queue with the show policy-map interface command. While this is a manual process, it provides some level of monitoring for those w/o a NMS tool such as QPM.

__

Edison.

OK thanks!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It might be possible to accomplish that using Embedded Event Manager (EEM) found in the later IOSs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card