cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recover 1200AP IOS

Subash Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

I tried to upgrade the 1220 AP with an IOS Image. I have deleted the old IOS which was inside the AP. But after rebooting it shows "magic number mismatch: bad mzip file

Error loading "flash:/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEC2.tar".

I done a reset to the AP, but still i cannot get in the IOS. i have tried the tftpdnld process, but the tftpdnld command is not recognised by the AP.

Anyone can help....Please

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

carlos.morillo
Level 1
Level 1

try this:

format flash:

then reset.

After the reset you will be in BOOTLOADER

type:

set

it will show IP address 10.0.0.1

connect laptop with a TFTP server directly to the AP and change its IP address to 10.0.0.5

at the AP prompt trype:

tar -xtract tftp://10.0.0.5/filename.tar flash:

this will download and expand the tar file in the AP filesystem.

Reset the AP; the file might not be loaded the first time, just type boot at the prompt and that will load it.

you should be back online.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEC2.tar is a compressed file. You need to uncompress this.

If there is enough space in the AP, run the command:

archive tar /x flash:c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEC2.tar flash:

Does this help?

Hi Leolaohoo,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

The problem is i have deleted the IOS from the AP. So i cannot load to the IOS. I can only load to the setup mode. In this setup mode, archive command is not valid. My .tar image is already inside the flash.But it cannot load because .tar is not a valid boot image.

Do you know how can i extract the .tar files which is inside the flash mem..??

Thanks a lot...!!!

Are you in ROMmon mode? What is the cursor?

Yes...I am in Rommon mode...

the cursor is ap:

This is what i am getting during the boot up of the AP

Xmodem file system is available.

flashfs[0]: 137 files, 6 directories

flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories

flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 7741440

flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 5599232

flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 2142208

flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 15 seconds.

Reading cookie from flash parameter block...done.

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:0d:bc:c7:60:05

Initializing ethernet port 0...

Reset ethernet port 0...

Reset done!

ethernet link up, 100 mbs, full-duplex

Ethernet port 0 initialized: link is up

The system is unable to boot automatically because there

are no bootable files to boot.

C1200 Boot Loader (C1200-BOOT-M) Version 12.2(8)JA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac

Compiled Wed 12-Feb-03 15:23 by hqluong

ap:

ap:

Thanks a lot for your help..

OK, you are in ROMMON. If you type the "?", do you see the TFTPDNLD command?

Nope...i tried almost all commands inside the ROMmon mode....this TFTPDNLD command is also not inside ROMmon mode....any other way to recover the IOS..??

dmadaffari1
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same issue. Waiting on a solution. Running the tar -xtract command will find the file on my PC but keeps saying "permission denied". any help would be great.

Hi..

I have also tried this tar -xtract command...but getting the same error....."permission denied"....

Any help...

carlos.morillo
Level 1
Level 1

try this:

format flash:

then reset.

After the reset you will be in BOOTLOADER

type:

set

it will show IP address 10.0.0.1

connect laptop with a TFTP server directly to the AP and change its IP address to 10.0.0.5

at the AP prompt trype:

tar -xtract tftp://10.0.0.5/filename.tar flash:

this will download and expand the tar file in the AP filesystem.

Reset the AP; the file might not be loaded the first time, just type boot at the prompt and that will load it.

you should be back online.

Hi Carlos,

Yup..its working....Thanks a lot for your great help...

Also can you advise me how can i upgrade the IOS of 1200 AP from one version to another using the tftp locally and not using the web page...??

Thanks once again....

Regards

Subhash

Hi Subhash,

Working with Software Images

This section describes how to archive (download and upload) software image files, which contain the system software, Cisco IOS software, radio firmware, and the web management HTML files.

You download an access point image file from a TFTP, FTP, or RCP server to upgrade the access point software. You upload an access point image file to a TFTP, FTP, or RCP server for backup purposes. You can use this uploaded image for future downloads to the same access point or another of the same type.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.3_2_JA/configuration/guide/s32mfw.html#wp1035507

Hope this helps!

Rob

For what its worth for people in the position that I was in, I have a solution for upgrading to the LWAPP image. I TFTP'ed the LWAPP image to the AP and then deleted the current Autonomous image. When you reboot, it cannot find a proper boot path because the LWAPP image is in the compressed .tar format. When trying to run another image through TFTP didnt work, I ran the tar -xtract command on the image in flash and then xtracted straight to flash. This now gives you a bootable image that will boot the AP in LWAPP mode.

The command is: tar -xtract flash: flash:

Next type: dir flash: and you will see the bootable image.

Type: set BOOT flash: and then reset.

Hope this helps anyone else in my situation.

Hi Carlos

Excellent post, thanks.

For others, my AP did not show an IP address when i typed in 'set', as recommended above, so I did the following:

set IP-ADDR 10.0.0.1

set DEFAULT_ROUTER 10.0.0.2 (my laptop IP)

set NETMASK 255.255.255.0

tftp_init

reset

This has set an IP information and once tftp is initiated you can then do the tar -xtract thing with success.

I had an LWAPP AP which I needed to recover and I used the IOS to LWAPP conversion image to recover it. Once plugged back into network it updates itself from the controllers and becomes fully operational.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: