Helpful
Replies

Reason for Device Discovery to hang

jeeyishyuan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

<br /><br />

<br /><br />I had installed Common Service 3.1.1 on LMS 3.0 with 5K-K9 license. Recently, device discovery keep hanging aft it is scheduled to run. Usually, device discovery will complete after 698 devices discovered (which is an expected number of Cisco Network devices managed in the network as well). The whole process usually took not more than 3 hours.

<br /><br />

<br /><br />However, device discovery continue to run for more than 12 hours after discovered 698 devices. I need to manually stop the discovery process in order to complete the whole process.

<br /><br />

<br /><br />Any advice on this to solve the problem?

<br /><br />

<br /><br />Thanks & Regards,

<br /><br />Yi Shyuan

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There were some issues reported with Discovery hanging in CS 3.1.1. They were supposed to have been addressed in CS 3.2, but some customers are still reporting hangs. Debugging this requires certain debugging to be enabled, and may also require a full thread dump from the CSDiscovery JVM process. As such, you should open a TAC service request so they can walk you through this.

the disocvery job that hangs, is it a scheduled discovery job?

if yes,

1) which was the user that did setup the job? which permissions does he has?

2) after scheduling the discovery job, have you changed the authentication method? (like form 'CiscoWorks local' to ACS)

3) is the user that has created the discovery job deleted (or does it still exists with the original permissions)

I've got also some customers having this problem and I currently assume it could be related to the user policies/rights;

For troubleshooting, stop the current discovery job and schedule it to run only once a week(e.g. Tuesday); then schedule a new job with the same discovery settings and let it run e.g. daily; does this new job finish successfully ?

at which time is the discovery job scheduled and what are the settings for the system config collection and system config polling jobs (RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Collection Settings)