Level 1
Level 1

Does the nexus 5020 support 1Gb sfp?

10 Replies 10

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Yes, it does.

The first 8 ports of a Nexus 5010 switch and the first 16 ports of a Nexus 5020 switch are switchable 1-Gigabit and 10-Gigabit ports. The default interface speed is 10-Gigabit. To configure these ports for 1-Gigabit Ethernet, insert a 1-Gigabit Ethernet SFP transceiver into the applicable port and then set its speed with the speed command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli_rel_4_0_1a/BasicEthernet.html')">http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli_rel_4_0_1a/BasicEthernet.html

List of supported SFP:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/data_sheet_c78-461802.html

This post is rather old, but it is the exact question I was going to ask. I have read the info on the Nexus and it does support GLC-SX-MM fiber connections. Since the first few ports on the 5010 and 5020 support the GLC-SX-MM connections are they only used for servers, or can they be used to tie back to Layer 3 switches.

The reason I ask is that we will be deploying these this year and we want to run a 5k and 2k in our lab, but we have no 10g connectivity yet. So we need to work with what we have and that being the good old GLC-SX-MM.

I look forward to the responses. If anyone has tried tieing the Nexus 5k back to their cores with GLC-SX-MM connections I would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks In Advance,

Bret

hi bret,

I have no practical experience yet on the nexus 5K. But we are working on a 10g requirement. our backup design is based on using the first 16 ports on the 1G copper using the GLC-T and it is a supported type of transiever for Nexus, so is glc-sx-mm so imho your scenario is possible.

Thanks Prakadessh. I have read the documentation and I did find the supported interfaces that can be used in the 5k. I was just wondering if anyone was doing it. Cisco likes to keep info a little vague at times with new equipment. When we had them onsite they pushed really hard for the 10g - which we are moving forward with, but in our test lab we can not do this yet.

From the 5000 series Data Sheet

Supported Tranceiver Options

Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ module (MMF)
Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ module (SMF)
Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M 10GBASE-CU SFP+ cable 1m (Twinax cable)
Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU3M 10GBASE-CU SFP+ cable 3m (Twinax cable)
Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU5M 10GBASE-CU SFP+ cable 5m (Twinax cable)
Cisco GLC-T 1000BASE-T SFP
Cisco GLC-SX-MM GE SFP, LC connector SX transceiver (MMF)
Cisco GLC-LH-SM GE SFP, LC connector LX/LH transceiver (SMF)
Cisco SFP-GE-T 1000BASE-T SFP, extended temperature range
Cisco SFP-GE-S GE SFP, LC connector SX transceiver (MMF), extended temperature range and digital optical monitoring (DOM)
Cisco-SFP-GE-L GE SFP, LC connector LX/LH transceiver (SMF), extended temperature range and DOM
Cisco DS-SFP-FC4G-SW 4-Gbps Fibre Channel SW SFP, LC (for Fibre Channel expansion module ports)
Cisco DS-SFP-FC4G-LW 4-Gbps Fibre Channel LW SFP, LC (for Fibre Channel expansion module ports)
Cisco DS-SFP-FC8G-SW 8-Gbps Fibre Channel SW SFP+, LC (for Fibre Channel expansion module ports)
Cisco DS-SFP-FC8G-LW 8-Gbps Fibre Channel LW SFP+, LC (for Fibre Channel expansion module ports)

so in your test lab you are not able to bring the 1G link up on the 10G/1G ports on the nexus 5020 using glc-sx-mm ?

We do not have the 5ks yet. But this is what we plan on doing in our test lab when we do get the 5k and 2k.Connect the 5ks to 2ks via 10g using the SFP+. Then from the 5k to our cores in the test lab we will use fiber with the GLC-SX-MM.

According to the documentation on the 5k this type of configuration can be achieved using the supported tranceivers posted earlier.

For "warm fuzzies", I want to confirm 1Gb/s copper and fiber SFP's are commonly used, you just need cisco genuine transceivers and "speed 1000" on the interface config.

Also, remember the 1Gb/s-capable ports are the first 8 of a 5010 and the first 16 of a 5020.

Regards,

John Gill

"Warm Fuzzies" are good John. Thank you very much for chiming in.

Hello

Why Nexus N5K-C5020P-BF with 5.1(3)N1(1) version doesn't support 1-Gigabit Ethernet (GLC-SX-MM or GLC-T) SFP transceiver?

I can't find speed command in this version to test.
Is it economical to use 10G for peer-link ?
Eth1/33 N5K vPC peer-link sfpInvalid trunk full 10G SFP-1000BAS
Eth1/34 N5K vPC peer-link connected trunk full 10G 10Gbase-SR
Thanks
Armen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card