Helpful
Replies

CSM - Load balance using Server CPU

james_46
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a customer who requires the load-balancing prediction

algorithm to be based on the CPU level of the Server. So the server with the least CPU is chosen at the laod-balancing stage.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks James

6 Replies 6

Hi James

With CSM the only option is DFP (Dynamic feed back protocol). If your application vendor provides DFP agents (which is very unlikely) for the application then these agents can be installed on App servers for the desired purpose.

Config details at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/csm/4.2.x/configuration/guide/rsfarms.html#wp1039774')">http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/csm/4.2.x/configuration/guide/rsfarms.html#wp1039774

With ACE you can use SNMP based probes to achieve what you are looking for.

Syed Iftekhar Ahmed

Hi Syed

Thanks for getting back.

Perhaps i am getting mixed up between CSM and ACE.The module purchased is a ACE20-MOD-K9= for a 6500 chassis

Can the SNMP based probes be used with this module?

Cheers

James

James

Yes, with ACE its possible.

The Load balancing algorithm "Least-loaded" will help you to loadbalance on the basis of CPU load.

You need to know the snmp OID for CPU load on the server. ACE will send

periodic SNMP probes to retrieve that value and use it in the load

balancing decision.

You can use total of eight such OIDs like CPU load, available memory or disk space.

HTH

Syed

The answer from Syed is absolutely correct.

Giving him a all-5 :)

Gilles

Its an honor.

I am going to keep a copy Posted on my wall:)

Syed

Thanks Guys

I was of course going to give Syed five stars but Gilles just beat me to it there ;o)

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: