Views
Helpful
Replies

MTU on PIX using DSL

rstevek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a PIX where the outside interface is connected to a DSL modem. The PIX is configured for PPPoE on the outside interface. I know that the typical MTU size is 1500 for Ethernet and 1492 for PPPoE.

Should I set the MTU to 1492 on the outside interface of the PIX, or does the MTU only need to be set properly on the DSL modem?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

- Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

eddie.mitchell
Level 3
Level 3

According to this configuration guide, the MTU is automatically configured for 1492 when the default route is added:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/pix/pix63/configuration/guide/pixclnt.html#wp1031522

"The PPPoE client is only supported on the outside interface of the PIX Firewall. PPPoE is not supported in conjunction with DHCP because with PPPoE the IP address is assigned by PPP. The setroute option causes a default route to be created if no default route exists. The default router will be the address of the access concentrator. The maximum transmission unit (MTU) size is automatically set to 1492 bytes, which is the correct value to allow PPPoE transmission within an Ethernet frame."

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

eddie.mitchell
Level 3
Level 3

According to this configuration guide, the MTU is automatically configured for 1492 when the default route is added:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/pix/pix63/configuration/guide/pixclnt.html#wp1031522

"The PPPoE client is only supported on the outside interface of the PIX Firewall. PPPoE is not supported in conjunction with DHCP because with PPPoE the IP address is assigned by PPP. The setroute option causes a default route to be created if no default route exists. The default router will be the address of the access concentrator. The maximum transmission unit (MTU) size is automatically set to 1492 bytes, which is the correct value to allow PPPoE transmission within an Ethernet frame."

Hi Eddie,

Thanks very much! I did not realize that this was being done automatically for me. I am much less confused now.

Thanks,

- Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card