cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1252 LWAP AP N radio

fashour
Level 1
Level 1

We have 1252 AP and we are trying to support N standard. For some reason the SSID is not broadcasted on the N. When looking at the client, we only see a/b/g but not n. Is there special configuration or hardware configuration needed to suppot N?

The antennas used on the AP are:

AIR-ANT5135DB-R

and

AIR-ANT5135DB-R

The client support N standard. Wireless card used: Intel WIFI 5100 AGN

Any help is greatly appreciated

7 Replies 7

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

The antennas should be fine (you listed the same one twice, I assume you have a 2.4GHz one instead). What data rates do you connect at with the client? Is it possible that the client doesn't call it "n"?

Ensure the N data rates are enabled on the AP Radio interface.

Yeah, my bad. It is the 2.4ghz on the second. How do I ensure the N data rates are enabled on the AP radio? I am sorry but I am new to this and want to learn more.

Using your browser, log into the 1250 AP. On the left-hand side menu, choose Interface and you should see the two radios there as a sub-menu. The main window should tell you the status of the N radios. Click on the radio sub-menu and choose the Settings tab for further information/settings you desire.

Does this help?

Thanksfor the help. I found my data rates are fine. While I was poking around, I found that the issue was:

1) VMM has to be enabled in order to achieve n data rates

2) N will not work with TKIP encryption. It has to be WPA2 AES encryption or a mix of WPA2 AES and TKIP in order to have it work. Note that i also works with plain open authentication alone as well.

Trying to get to 802.11n rates myself, but I can't get it done either...

Trying to figure out what "VMM" is? Can't find a reference to it anywhere!

Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) mode is used for IP phones, however in our case, it is needed for N rates. You can enable it by:

WLAN>SSID>Qos

Also, follow the following link for channel bonding and enablig 802.11n support which from what Iunderstand should be there by default:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a0080a3443f

I hope that helps you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card