cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1252 LWAP AP N radio

fashour
Level 1
Level 1

We have 1252 AP and we are trying to support N standard. For some reason the SSID is not broadcasted on the N. When looking at the client, we only see a/b/g but not n. Is there special configuration or hardware configuration needed to suppot N?

The antennas used on the AP are:

AIR-ANT5135DB-R

and

AIR-ANT5135DB-R

The client support N standard. Wireless card used: Intel WIFI 5100 AGN

Any help is greatly appreciated

7 Replies 7

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

The antennas should be fine (you listed the same one twice, I assume you have a 2.4GHz one instead). What data rates do you connect at with the client? Is it possible that the client doesn't call it "n"?

Ensure the N data rates are enabled on the AP Radio interface.

Yeah, my bad. It is the 2.4ghz on the second. How do I ensure the N data rates are enabled on the AP radio? I am sorry but I am new to this and want to learn more.

Using your browser, log into the 1250 AP. On the left-hand side menu, choose Interface and you should see the two radios there as a sub-menu. The main window should tell you the status of the N radios. Click on the radio sub-menu and choose the Settings tab for further information/settings you desire.

Does this help?

Thanksfor the help. I found my data rates are fine. While I was poking around, I found that the issue was:

1) VMM has to be enabled in order to achieve n data rates

2) N will not work with TKIP encryption. It has to be WPA2 AES encryption or a mix of WPA2 AES and TKIP in order to have it work. Note that i also works with plain open authentication alone as well.

Trying to get to 802.11n rates myself, but I can't get it done either...

Trying to figure out what "VMM" is? Can't find a reference to it anywhere!

Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) mode is used for IP phones, however in our case, it is needed for N rates. You can enable it by:

WLAN>SSID>Qos

Also, follow the following link for channel bonding and enablig 802.11n support which from what Iunderstand should be there by default:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a0080a3443f

I hope that helps you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: