cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic IP Routing Help

mrPeeples
Level 1
Level 1

Our network is laid out like this: Network (One subnet) -> Switch -> Router -> Switch -> PIX -> COX Router.

I want to put two subnets behind our internal router. The last IT guy had every machine set to use the PIX as a default gateway. My question is - Can use the router to set up a second subnet using a routing protocol (RIP?), and if I did, would I have to set everyone to use it as a default gateway?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the basic-ness of the this >.<

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

With two subnet in internal subnet, you can use static route instead. The host in two internal subnet would have to be point to the ip address of the L3 interface you created. Then have a static route pointing to the firewall. If the Firewall is doing natting, you would have to configure it for the new subnet, and you also need to let the PIX know of the new subnet, so that the firewall would know how to get back to that subnet.

I hope that is clear.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

With two subnet in internal subnet, you can use static route instead. The host in two internal subnet would have to be point to the ip address of the L3 interface you created. Then have a static route pointing to the firewall. If the Firewall is doing natting, you would have to configure it for the new subnet, and you also need to let the PIX know of the new subnet, so that the firewall would know how to get back to that subnet.

I hope that is clear.

hclisschennai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Peeples

Yes,RIP supports secondary interface. But care must be taken as it may create traffic in the network.

Yes, of course you have to change the default gateway of the PCs. If DHCP is set, it is required to change in only in server.

R.B.Kumar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card