Views
Helpful
Replies

Portfast

hclisschennai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If i enable Portfast in the switch, does STP still works in that port.

By chance if i connect a switch in that port, what will happen?

R.B.Kumar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Yes, it does. The port just do not go through learning and immediately go to forwarding, but STP still runs on that port.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Yes, it does. The port just do not go through learning and immediately go to forwarding, but STP still runs on that port.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RB

If you configure portfast then STP does still run in that port. Portfast does not disable STP but only changes the behavior a little so that instead of going through the stages of listening and learning before going to forwarding with portfast the port goes immediately into the forwarding state. But it does still run STP.

If you connect a switch on that port it has the possibility that you could connect another port on the second switch to a port on the first switch and create a loop. If the loop is created and portfast is enabled there will be a great increase in traffic over those ports until STP is able to detect the loop and force one of the ports into blocking mode.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks, i got it. Thus for we have to enable portfast BPDU Guard to aleviate the interim flooding due to the time it takes to find the Loop using normal STP process

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card