cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User Tracking interactions

steve.sobot
Level 1
Level 1

When User Tracking gathers the information it requires, how ooes it interact with the other CW databases?

I wish to understand in more detail whether UT uses the DCR, CM or ANI databases, and how the process flow functions.

Good overviews greatly appreciated.

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The User Tracking data is stored in tables within the ANI database. UT uses DCR to get a list of devices and credentials prior to running its acquisition. Depending on the version of Campus Manager, UT will either get managed switch and router information from the running ANIServer, or from XML files created by the last Data Collection run from ANIServer.

Once UT knows about managed switches and routers, it proceeds to get the MAC and ARP tables from those devices using SNMP. It also retrieves IP phone data from managed Call Managers. Once all of the data has been acquired, UT maps ARP and MAC entries (and depending on version, CCM data as well).

Thanks jclarke, a very informative reply.

My original enquiry was related to Version 2.6 of CiscoWorks.

It is not easy to find good overviews of CW functions and the data(bases) that are referenced/updated. Does anyone have any good pointers?

Such documents are not typically made publicly available since we do not yet support direct customer access to the LMS databases. However, as we start to open access in future releases, database information will be made more readily available.

Thanks Joe, I understand - however I was meaning more as an aid to understanding (e.g. for troubleshooting).

Simple Data Flow Diagrams could be maintained for each important function.

I'm sure that they exist, though as you imply, perhaps they are only available to the developers.

If there is any resource like this that IS accessable online, it would be very useful.

Some of this information can be found in the LMS deployment guides at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2425/prod_white_papers_list.html . However, I know of no publicly available overall LMS architecture guide.

Good stuff, thanks Joe !

Thanks jclarke, a very informative reply.

My original enquiry was related to Version 2.6 of CiscoWorks.

It is not easy to find good overviews of CW functions and the data(bases) that are referenced/updated. Does anyone have any good pointers?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: